Original topic:

Smart switch is not restoring whatsapp from iCloud

(Topic created: 08-07-2022 03:01 AM)
userhVfPhq6sIe
Astronaut
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

I have recently switched from iPhone to a galaxy s10 5g, I have all my data in iCloud (Which I can see in my desktop iCloud app) but when I tried to restore it to the Samsung device I only see contacts, images, and no WhatsApp, call log and SMS in this restoration, so I am not sure what is doing wrong? 

PS: I have updated my device and the smart switch is also the latest version. 

7 Replies
Fiah_rag
Astronaut
Options
What's app does not transfer that way, at least it didn't when I worked at t-mobile, you need to back up that info with the whats app app first, back it up through what's app on the old phone, then restore it on what's app on the new phone.

It's annoying
0 Likes
userhVfPhq6sIe
Astronaut
Options

Thanks for your reply, the problem is I backed up my WhatsApp through iCloud so there is no separate backup file and I don't have access to my old phone as well only iCloud backup. 

0 Likes
Fiah_rag
Astronaut
Options
That was always the issue with what's app, I'm not sure if reaching out to their technical department could help, I can't remember if it had the option of backing it up to Google Drive on the iPhone.

But that makes more sense,
0 Likes
userhVfPhq6sIe
Astronaut
Options

Yes, that is true if we read the official statement of a smart switch app, they claim that WhatsApp from iCloud can be done but in reality its not true on the ground, it's a shame. 

0 Likes
Fiah_rag
Astronaut
Options
It really is, you'd think it'd be possible by now
0 Likes
LongHiker
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

@userhVfPhq6sIe Whatsapp is an application which doesn't support Smart switch backups. If I were you, I would copy your backup from iCloud to your Google Drive. Then inside Whatsapp, restore from that backup.  

0 Likes