cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Distorted audio over Bluetooth AAC codec in One UI 6 (Android 14)

(Topic created: 11-19-2023 07:59 PM)
O_s_c_a_r
Asteroid
Options
Discussions
Using AAC Bluetooth codec with Bluetooth headphones results in cracking high frequencies in the S21 Ultra (SM-G998U1). The issues disappear when switching to the SBC or LDAC codec. Tested with 4 different Bluetooth headphones.

I see several big problems here:
1. AAC codec in Samsung phones has to improve.
2. SBC codec should be the default codec for Bluetooth audio instead of an unstable AAC codec.
3. There should be a way to select the preferred Bluetooth codec.

The default codec can be customized by Samsung. It seems a well-known problem for Samsung. It was also a problem with Android 13 in the S23: AAC Bluetooth codecs sounds distorted on Galaxy S2... - Samsung Members

An easy test can be done using this YouTube music video: 

The distortion can be easily noticed starting in the first two notes when using Bluetooth AAC codec. The distortion disappears when using Bluetooth SBC or wired headphones.

6 Replies
FYLegend21
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions

Yes I have noticed this with S23 Ultra on Android 13, it's less noticeable on some earbuds like the Sony Linkbuds S but more so on others. I mostly use LDAC so it's not much of an issue but the connectivity can be terrible in congested areas when commuting. Setting codec to SBC default is not an ideal solution because the Galaxy Buds series only have SBC bitpool of 37 and sound like trash with SBC, unless Samsung changes that too (unlikely for reasons unknown).

I hate saying it but have you been able to do a factory reset to see if the issues persist? I didn't bother with it myself but some have suggested the drivers may have become corrupted during setup

0 Likes
O_s_c_a_r
Asteroid
Options
Discussions

Yes, I tried a factory reset among other desperate ways to solve the problem. I have investigated more on the issue. It is an Android issue affecting not only Android 13 and Android 14, but at least occurring since Oreo. It is a shame that Samsung is not patching the issue given the inaction by Google.

0 Likes
IkeFurch
Astronaut
Options
Discussions
I'm having the same problem. Excessive high pitch when using Bluetooth ear buds
0 Likes
FYLegend21
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions

Thanks for confirming. I just got Android 14 on my S23 Ultra and unfortunately the problem is still there. I also tried toggling "Disable Bluetooth A2DP hardware offload" which fixes similar AAC issues on Pixel phones in the past, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

It's ironic because I experienced the opposite issue using Galaxy Buds devices (I tried the Plus, 2 and 2 Pro) on my Note 9 where it would distort with Samsung Scalable Codec but not AAC but annoyingly it would always default to SSC. It seemed to me the Note 9 could not handle the higher bitrates of Scalable codec.

Here's a test track I use, the snare clap and bass sound doubled-up/delayed when it should be mono:

https://youtu.be/BOo1QuRvfxQ?si=fRef2AT7PAwrXVgt

0 Likes
smartyn13r
Astronaut
Options
Discussions

Not sure why I don't get option to switch to LDAC on Samsung s23

Also it's a challenge to use Sony Headphones with Samsung devices

0 Likes
hiamp
Astronaut
Options
Discussions

I have the same problem with AAC codec, the only way its changing to SBC on developer configuration but when i reconnect the earphones it switch again in to AAC

0 Likes