JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Custom Notification sounds to different apps

(Topic created: 05-31-2022 10:23 AM)
Members_elGITwr
Constellation
Options
Note20

So I've been having a of a time trying to set custom sounds to different apps. When I first got the phone, about 6 months ago, I was able to change sounds without issue.

I wanted to change the sounds to Gmail and the Messages app, can't find a way to do it. I've googled it, followed every walkthrough I could find but once I get to the Notification Settings in a given app, there is nothing there that allows me to select any notification sound, custom or otherwise.

I tried changing the universal Notification sound in Sounds and vibration in the phone's Settings app but the custom sounds I set when I first got the phone are still playing. 

And this is where I'm lost, I have no idea how it was so easy when I first got the phone but now, it's a mystery.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Note20
As previous commenter mentioned. You need to get to notification categories for each app that you want a custom sound. For example: tap and hold on messages app icon and then in the pop-up tap on the "i" mark. Then go to notifications. After that go to notification categories and then tap on "new messages" and this will open up options to change sound.

Some people don't know that you can tap on the wording even if there is a toggle beside it.

View solution in context

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Note20
Sorry I'm new phone is more difficult to use
0 Likes
Options
Note20
Gmail settings.......... notifications.......... notifications catagory.............. mail........ sound.......... select sound

Then go back and assign individual sounds for different types of gmail notifications.

Same for all other apps. You can also assign different notification sound to contacts. Take it a step further for when you in a meeting or dinner table. Your fone is on vibrate. You can assign a different vibration style to contacts and notifications
0 Likes
Solution
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Note20
As previous commenter mentioned. You need to get to notification categories for each app that you want a custom sound. For example: tap and hold on messages app icon and then in the pop-up tap on the "i" mark. Then go to notifications. After that go to notification categories and then tap on "new messages" and this will open up options to change sound.

Some people don't know that you can tap on the wording even if there is a toggle beside it.