JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Suggestion: SmartTag Notify When Moved

(Topic created: 11-28-2021 07:15 PM)
userh3keIk3cdC
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

Suggestion: It would be VERY NICE is SmartTags could notify on the phone when the SmartTag was moved while not in range of the phone. 

I use a SmartTags to track the location of my car.  If it is moved and I am not in it with my phone, it would be very nice if the tag would alert me that its location has changed (i.e., my car was moved without my permission).

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Smart Home Support
SmartTags are connected to your phone via Bluetooth and have a range of 30 to 60, maybe 100, feet. They do not have GPS nor do they had a cellular or satellite connection. They are intended to track items within the Bluetooth range of your phone, so that such items are not left behind should you move.

View solution in context

3 Replies
Solution
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Smart Home Support
SmartTags are connected to your phone via Bluetooth and have a range of 30 to 60, maybe 100, feet. They do not have GPS nor do they had a cellular or satellite connection. They are intended to track items within the Bluetooth range of your phone, so that such items are not left behind should you move.
user6QknLZOYL5
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

The function you describe is understood, but the original poster is using the tag as others are starting to, i.e. as a longer range tracking device. It works in that function as well, but unfortunately can't be set up to notify you when it has moved, making it a lot less valuable as an anti-theft device. I understand that as it has to use other Samsung devices GPSs when it is out of range of its paired phone, precision tracking isn't possible (a stationary tag would report a slightly varied position each time it connected to a passing samsung device). However, you think it should be possible to include a function which notifies you when the out of range tag thinks it has moved by, say, > 200 metres. 

userax7IaBi9DH
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support
I would also like this functionality. It seems as though it would be quite feasible to add as part of an Automation. I'm hoping to know if my vehicles are moved (read stolen) when they are in storage away from me. If I know they have been moved, then I keep my self apprised, but if I don't know to look there is not as much utility in these devices.
I am OK with not having GPS, etc.