Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Ram Plus vs No Ram Plus

(Topic created: 09-17-2022 10:49 AM)
PrimePixel
Comet
Options
Discussions
I've been currently using the S22 Ultra (256gb model) with 12 gb of ram and it seems to be faster without RAM Plus. I mean I don't think I even need Ram Plus to begin with due to the fact it comes with 12 gb of ram, but this might change on the 128gb model. One thing I do notice is that Ram Plus doesn't necessarily take up much storage on your phone. As shown on the comment below, it takes up ≈800mb of your phones storage. I do think that you guys should turn of Ram Plus as it improves your phones overall experience, but there are some benefits to having it turned on, though I don't think it is worth it unless you like having so many apps open.
jimmyweda
Nebula
Options
Discussions
Yeah but like PrimePixel said, it's part of the Beta. I remember after joining Beta I noticed you could now turn it off because it used to bug me that I had to keep at least 2gig on regardless. I'm on the S22 Ultra and I didn't need it. You may have lowered it but you couldn't get rid of it til the Beta.
0 Likes
Moosc
Nebula
Options
Discussions
By increasing ram plus you are allowing the device to keep application open n running in background. Which can affect the battery some what
0 Likes
PrimePixel
Comet
Options
Discussions
I don't like apps running in the background much and I just the important files stored for when I open it back. Pretty sure it'll affect the battery life more as the maximum it can run on the background is 20 normally.
0 Likes
Jay3578
Nebula
Options
Discussions
Yes, I can confirm
JPlaid
Halo
Options
Discussions
Did the same and it improved notably. Especially with the swipe home gestures.
Ryan891
Supernova
Options
Discussions
This is something that all users should be aware of. Ram plus would be useful on a budget device with minimal ram. But the feature, by design, uses storage as virtual ram. The storage will always be slower performing than DDR5 ram. Don't use it if you don't need it (you do not).

There is also a flaw in the design of the feature. Ram plus automatically gets used if you have it turned on, it should only be used if you are running out of ram
PrimePixel
Comet
Options
Discussions
If they could maybe optimize RamPlus to only store some information that won't hinder performance it might have an advantage though.
0 Likes
Ryan891
Supernova
Options
Discussions
Agreed. Or tweak it to only use when needed instead of automatically
0 Likes
PrimePixel
Comet
Options
Discussions
Or that
Dhawk1202
Nebula
Options
Discussions
I say this with all due respect, but either I had no problems with animations, or you're all nuts. I turned mine off and have not noticed any change. I do have my animations set to .5x via developer options though. S22 ultra TMobile
0 Likes