Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Original topic:

Virtual Memory

(Topic created: 11-06-2021 11:43 AM)
Options
Questions
Can someone give me a more in depth explanation of how virtual RAM works? Does it apply at all times?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Questions
Virtual memory is dedicated drive storage that is used as a "swap space" where a device (PC or laptop or gaming console or phone) has limited memory resources (space).

Basically, as an application needs memory to operate, where a limited amount of memory exists, the operating system moves a portion of memory into the swap space (virtual memory areas on drive), then reallocates the memory space for the application that requires the memory.

This feature is most often used for devices that have a very limited amount of memory space.

I'm perplexed why Samsung decided to use virtual RAM for a high end device like the Ultra - there's no need for the V. RAM

Samsung originally designed virtual RAM for the mid-range phones like the A series

View solution in context

9 Replies
boston503
Comet
Options
Questions
Basically it's using 4GB out of your 128GB internal storage
boston503
Comet
Options
Questions
So you could get more performance Your 12GB ram will be a 16GB ram for more better performance and a boost in apps
Options
Questions
But is this running at all time...? Or is the 4gb only being used while being in apps?
0 Likes
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Questions
yes, it's "ON" all the time
Solution
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Questions
Virtual memory is dedicated drive storage that is used as a "swap space" where a device (PC or laptop or gaming console or phone) has limited memory resources (space).

Basically, as an application needs memory to operate, where a limited amount of memory exists, the operating system moves a portion of memory into the swap space (virtual memory areas on drive), then reallocates the memory space for the application that requires the memory.

This feature is most often used for devices that have a very limited amount of memory space.

I'm perplexed why Samsung decided to use virtual RAM for a high end device like the Ultra - there's no need for the V. RAM

Samsung originally designed virtual RAM for the mid-range phones like the A series
Options
Questions
That you very much for the explanation. šŸ™‚
0 Likes
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Questions
... forgive me ... I ended up edited my post a couple of times because "auto-complete" decided to use other words than I intended ... I also added a closing sentence
Options
Questions
No problem bro, once more, thanks:)
0 Likes
USBetaModerator
Beta Moderator
Options
Questions

Hello @user751201tmO21  ,

Thank you for suggesting the solution. We appreciate your contribution to the Beta community.

Regards,
One UI Beta Team

0 Likes