Why can't we have a visual voicemail integrated into the phone app

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
JawshDarnit
Galaxy
Options
Questions
I've talked about this before, it's all controlled by carrier. AT&T has the best iteration in my opinion. They get the Samsung Voicemail app. T-Mobile/Sprint, Metro, Verizon etc they all have their own voicemail apps and transcription subscription services. So instead of giving us what even Google gives FOR FREE the carriers want to make money from us. I'm assuming you're in the US but if you're not I'd say the politics are similar based on your local carriers.

View solution in context

5 Replies
drewfisher94
Asteroid
Options
Questions
It would be nice to add Google assistant features into the phone app as well. Just like Motorola and Pixels have where the assistant can answer and screen the calls for you.
Solution
JawshDarnit
Galaxy
Options
Questions
I've talked about this before, it's all controlled by carrier. AT&T has the best iteration in my opinion. They get the Samsung Voicemail app. T-Mobile/Sprint, Metro, Verizon etc they all have their own voicemail apps and transcription subscription services. So instead of giving us what even Google gives FOR FREE the carriers want to make money from us. I'm assuming you're in the US but if you're not I'd say the politics are similar based on your local carriers.
USBetaModerator
Beta Moderator
Options
Questions

Hello @usersJA9uAvWTc ,

Thank you for suggesting the solution. We appreciate your contribution to the Beta community.

Regards,
One UI Beta Team

0 Likes
drewfisher94
Asteroid
Options
Questions
Yeah I'm in the US and on T-Mobile so I use their visual voicemail app. Aren't the Google assistant call screening features separate then voicemail? I'm pretty sure that to get call screening Samsung would have to fully support and switch to the Google phone app. Not the free one that you can download from the playstore and manually switch too. It would be cool if Samsung could collaborate with Google to bring Google Assistant Call screening to their phone app because I doubt they'll ever fully switch to Google phone app but you never know. They had a One UI skin on top of Google Messages at one point but it went away when the app updated to the new material you design.
0 Likes
PaulW
Halo
Options
Questions
Visual Voicemail on iPhone is managed by Apple and not the carrier, which is likely the reason it's contained within Apple's phone app.
0 Likes