Original topic:

Passcode & biometrics policy change?

(Topic created: 03-26-2024 10:35 PM)
zzyxx
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I changed my passcode recently, and since I usually use biometrics, I forgot the new passcode and have been locked out for several weeks. (Please read on before you tell me I must do a hard reset...)

Prior to last week, the lock screen said that the "passcode is required." Then, last week, the text on the screen changed. Now it says, "For your security, use your fingerprint or pattern." So they very clearly changed something. The problem is there is no way to scan my fingerprint on this screen. It still only allows me to enter a passcode.

I chatted online with Samsung tech support after I noticed this change in the UI, and they instructed me to go to an authorized repair center with the phone and my proof of purchase and that I could get help logging in without having to do a hard reset.

Unsurprisingly, Best Buy had no idea what that chat rep was talking about. They said they couldn't help me, that they hadn't heard of a policy change, and that there was nothing they could do to get the phone to accept a fingerprint other than a hard reset.

Samsung, you are so close to being able to actually help people get back into their devices. Just make the fingerprint scanner work as you say it should. Did you change the policy? Why the UI change? Have you actually come up with a reasonable solution to a common problem (instead of everyone casually telling users to reset their $1000 bricks to get them to work again)?

Many questions but no solutions to be found. I hope that changes.

6 Replies
SergioRC20
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Hello,

If you have a Samsung.com account and your device is registered, you can unlock it by login in from a computer or another device.
0 Likes
zzyxx
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Unfortunately, the remote unlock option/capability was recently removed due to security concerns, so that method won't work. Is that what you're referring to?

I'm hopeful that the addition of fingerprints as an acceptable login method (after the phone has been idle) is Samsung's way of providing a way for people to get back into their phones since they can no longer do it remotely.

0 Likes
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Samsung does not remotely change peoples lock screens with or without warning. You accidentally set it to pattern unlock.
0 Likes
zzyxx
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

TipsyTrex, that's not at all what I'm describing, and that's definitely not what happened. The thing that changed is the rule that is displayed on the lock screen, and the info on the screen that explains why a passcode is required.

Previously, Samsung phones required the user to enter a passcode periodically in order to enable fingerprint or facial recognition. (Many Samsung users on this forum and others have expressed frustration with this rule.) The text on the screen now says something different. Now, the device says this when you click "more info" (which is there to explain why the passcode is required:

"When you use face recognition, you'll need to use your fingerprints or pattern whenever your phone has been idle for 4 hours to ensure your security." Those two words were not there a week ago, which makes me think (and hope) Samsung (or maybe Android?) has changed the process.

0 Likes
zPrecious
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I am seriously frustrated šŸ˜  with this A 15 G. I had to change all my passwords, and worse, I can't use my bio print
0 Likes