Original topic:

S7 usb connection freezes computer after update

(Topic created: 09-05-2022 07:11 AM)
usertOW4p2y9gM
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I inherited a S7 about a month ago, first smartphone for me. Generally, everything has been good but I have run into a problem. A few weeks back I took a couple of pictures and plugged the phone into the USB port, had the phone allow access and went to the card/camera folder. Both pics where there and I copied them to my computer desktop unit without any problems. Then about a week ago or so, there was a software update for the phone, which I installed. My main system is AMD based.

Since that time, I can still connect with the USB but when I try to grab those pics, the computer system essentially freezes. I found I had to download and install the Samsung mobile usb device, which shows properly installed in the device manage yet I still can not access any images.

I have multiple boot drives (all windows 7, all with full updates etc) and no matter what drive I boot into, the problem remains.  Curious to note that if I connect the phone to my backup desktop system, which is intel based, running windows 7, windows immediately installed a device driver for the phone, and I was able to get into the camera folder and actually see the picture images and could copy them. The AMD system just shows a generic pic with no image showing.

Any suggestions?? I really do not want to have to boot the backup machine to do "all of this stuff", especially since it WAS working on the main machine (without having to install any additional drivers) before the phone software update was done.

Not sure what additional information you folks would want, this is my first time working on a phone and this problem. Thanks kindly in advance 🙂

Gary

3 Replies
Oxford
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Considering your phone is at least 6 years old and has not been updated since November of 2020, I believe you're playing with fire. Might be a good idea to upgrade to a phone that will get updates for at least another year or two.
Bs2209
Sun
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Exactly my thought
0 Likes
usertOW4p2y9gM
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Well, as I said, I am new to all of this. The phone did get one software update a little while back and it did initially work prior to the update. And the strange thing is, it does still work on the Intel based windows 7 box... the AMD box is where it all fails at.

Just saying 🙂

0 Likes