Original topic:

Change Default Email Attachments Open With App

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
MasterNe0
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24

I use the build-in android EMAIL app for my emails and accidently clicked on a PDF file and opened it with the wrong app and set it to ALWAYS. Now I can't get back to where it asked me which APP to used everytime I want to open a PDF file.

How do I change it back to what it was originally.

The instructions I saw said to go to Settings > Apps > Default Apps but then doesn't tell me what else to do and everything I can find online points to other phones but not android.

5 Replies
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24

If you remember which app you chose upon opening, go to that app in the apps section and in the set default, click that and clear defaults. Then open a PDF file and the chooser should come up and you can select always for Acrobat.

0 Likes
MasterNe0
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24

When I go to Settings > Apps and look for the app like "Microsoft 365 (Office)" and select it, their no "clear defaults". Their just "Set as Default" and a selection saying "Open Supported links".

Im on Android 13 if that matters.

0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24

Ah, found it.  Go to Apps.  Then click the 3 dot menu in the upper right, select Reset App Preferences. This will reset all defaults, including notification preferences.

You can also just try going to Adobe Acrobat and clearing the default. Another thing you can do is go to Microsoft 365 and push the open supported links slider off and then go open a pdf file and the chooser should come up where you can choose acrobat. You can then go put the MSO365 slider back if you need to.  I don't think it hurts anything to keep it off

0 Likes
MasterNe0
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S24

I figured it out. The Clear Defaults works if I install another app link to the file, in my case was a PDF extension. I set it to open with Microsoft 365 app but even after deleting it, it kept popping up automatically. I installed Adobe Reader and that gave me the "open with" option. if i set it as always, the clear defaults shows up for that.

I am assuming whatever it was using for PDF extension wasn't actually installed as a app as I couldn't find the icon on my phone so it why the clear defaults wasn't showing up.

0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S24

You responded as I was in the middle of editing my response.  Glad you found the solution.

0 Likes