JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

990 EVO hybrid undetected in bios SOMETIMES.

(Topic created: 03-17-2024 01:35 AM)
RRossco
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi

BIOS IS ON LATEST UPDATE 

SSD Firmware version: 0b2qkxj7

I installed the new 990 EVO hybrid into an ROG Strix 650e-i ITX system.

I installed windows 11 as normal. the device was working as intended. 

windows partition seem normal. however.  Now it is very intermittent on when it stays detected in bios.

if you reset the PC it will boot straight to the BIOS and thee drive is not to be found. 

This is very frustrating.... you can reset the PC and after a random amount of times it just works again. and the windows partition is shown in BIOS. And then it boots to windows 11 as normal.

if you reset or shutdown. It is missing again.

How can i fix this issue?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
RRossco
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am replacing this drive with another non Samsung item. That should fix all my issues. 

Thanks for the replies. 

View solution in context

0 Likes
8 Replies
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

Move the 990 to the other M.2 slot and run it there for a while.  One slot is PCIE 5 and the other PCIE 4.

Check bios updates often to stay current.

0 Likes
RRossco
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi.

thanks for the reply. I will try the other slot to see if it works. However It has been working in the current slot. 

Still worth a try. So I will report back.

0 Likes
RRossco
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket%20AM5/ROG_STRIX_B650E-I_GAMING_WIFI/E20253_ROG_STRIX_B6...

just looking at the install data again. And I can confirm it is in the PCIE 5.0 slot on top side oof main board.

this would be the correct slot yes? 

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

There may  still be some code tweaking ahead before Gen5 is fully stable.

Gen4 may be a better choice for now.

Have fun!

0 Likes
RRossco
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Will it work if i just select gen 4 in BIOS. even though it defeats the purpose of buying into the gen5 drive in the first place?

Also if It is in gen 4 will the remaining lanes for the PCIE 5.0 get used at all? As this is a big issue for me as I would have just bought a normal gen4.0 and had faster all-round performance. 

Surely this has not gone to market with firmware or simple boot issues that have not been tested.

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same number of lanes, just the protocols, speed, heat, and power requirements change.

Swap to  Gen 4 slot and see if still intermittent.  Always a chance it's a motherboard problem.

0 Likes
RRossco
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

still no dice. and remained missing from BIOS so I was not able to force gen 4. 

I have it back in gen 5 slot.  at least it can boot randomly.  it remain missing until it feel like giving us windows. By then we do not want to go to bios incase it goes undetected again. 

0 Likes
Solution
RRossco
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am replacing this drive with another non Samsung item. That should fix all my issues. 

Thanks for the replies. 

0 Likes