JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Screen flashes every 6 mins on Note 20 after update

(Topic created: 09-24-2021 01:31 AM)
usermqWLI4UquD
Asteroid
Options
Note20

I have a note 20 ultra which is less than a year old. Everything was perfect till the latest update. Now the screen flashes every 6 mins or so. I have already wiped cache partition and played around with brightness settings, to no avail. I would rather not reset the phone. It is definitely a problem with the update as I have noticed other posts on forums talking about this but with no solutions. Any thoughts?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Lostinmygarden
Asteroid
Options
Note20

Possible fix I discovered 

Tried to post here before, trying again. I located the cause for me and posted to Reddit, seems to work for everyone so far.

For me, it was the Samsung messages app for SMS. Turn off "appear on top", that stopped it causing the issue

View solution in context

13 Replies
MutatedRam
Comet
Options
Note20
May I ask what update are you referring to
0 Likes
usermqWLI4UquD
Asteroid
Options
Note20

The Sep one.....which happened within this week.

0 Likes
Holylove
Galaxy
Options
Note20
If your talking the September update I haven't had any issues.
BEN83
Galaxy
Options
Note20
I updated my note 20 to Sept update and I don't get no problems with screen flashing. That maybe your hardware problem that makes your screen to flash.
0 Likes
usermqWLI4UquD
Asteroid
Options
Note20

While I do get the comments about people not facing issues with September update; do note that I am not suggesting that everyone will have an issue with the update but rather, that, the issue started happening for me AFTER the update and that, it is widespread beyond my individual case.  As an example:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-Note-Phones/After-latest-update-my-note-10-screen-flashes...

This is exactly what is happening with my phone. 

0 Likes
user2uuYv28DDv
Constellation
Options
Note20
I'm also having an issue with my Note 20 5g following the September update. My phone cannot find my Vizio TV to cast video any longer while my Tab S7+ on same wifi network finds it just fine. Have tried clearing the cache and rebooting without success.
0 Likes
SamsungRyder
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Note20

Hi, I can understand the frustrations on display and connectivity problems. Smart View can be used with Galaxy phones and tablets running Android 4.3 or above and with devices that support Miracast wireless display technology. This technology is built in to most newer Samsung smart TVs. However, your phone or tablet must be connected to the same network as your TV in order to use this function. If Smart View is not working, restarting or rebooting your device will usually solve the issue. Keep in mind that DRM-protected contents cannot be mirrored. Try this guide to troubleshoot: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001514/

You can also try wiping your device's cache partition. The steps are:

Warning Performing a wipe cache partition removes any temporary files that may be causing an issue with the device. All personal files and settings are not affected by this option.

1. Ensure the device is powered off.
    Note If the device is unresponsive/frozen, press and hold the Power button (located on the upper-left edge) for approximately 10 seconds or until the device power cycles.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up button (located on the upper-left edge) and the Home button (located at the bottom in the middle).
  3. While continuing to hold the Home and Volume Up buttons, press and hold the Power button (located on the right edge) until "RECOVERY BOOTING" appears in the upper left then release all buttons.
  4. Select wipe cache partition.
    Note Utilize the Volume Up/Down buttons to highlight and the Power button to select.
  5. Select reboot system now.
    Note Option is highlighted, utilize the Power button to select.

Finally, try doing the casting or testing the display in Safe Mode. The guide for Safe Mode is here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

If these do not help, please let me know. 

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Note20

The next step I would recommend is testing your device in safe mode. If your phone or tablet is misbehaving, it's possible that a third-party app is causing the issue. To figure out what app is acting funny, you can use the Safe mode feature. In Safe mode, your device won't run any third-party apps. This allows you to easily identify and remove the app that may be causing the problem. Give this link a try: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062983/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userJIcqjxAwyJ
Asteroid
Options
Note20

I also have this problem on my brand new Note 20 Ultra 5G. In some ways it's a relief to know others are having it too - hopefully it means it's not a manufacturing fault.

I took screenshots straight after each occurrence when I was reading an eBook and can confirm it's approximately every six minutes. I tapped the 'recents' button and cleared all apps except for the eReader, and each time after the flash the Messages app now appears in recents - but it vanishes if I try to click on it (rather than opening the app as usual)

All the steps listed the the above link (clearing cache etc) have been done

0 Likes