Original topic:

QN800B: Youtube "looses" ability to play 8K content

(Topic created: 02-02-2024 02:26 PM)
xela18954
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

If I go to the YouTube app and attempt to play the 8K content, I won't even get a 4320p (8K) option, only 2160p (even though the video clip is 8k).

If I exit the YouTube app, restart/reboot the TV, delete a bunch of apps to free up some memory, and then go to the YouTube app and try to access the same 8k content, everything is streaming 8k (or 4320p). It may be a YouTube app issue, or perhaps something with Tizen OS.

Can someone try to verify if they are seeing the same thing?

7 Replies
JBTechfanatic
Black Hole
Options
QLED and The Frame
This happens for one reason: the bandwidth from your router is not maintaining enough speed for 8K content. If you go to a direct source like a cable box, then go to support and run device care. It will close all the apps that might be running in the background and taking up some of your bandwidth. Do this beforehand, and you should be okay. Do that then open youtube. Then, of course, maximize your Wi-Fi when possible and connect to the 5GHz channel.
xela18954
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

The TV is connected via an Ethernet (CAT6) cable directly to the 1 Gbe gateway. 

0 Likes
JBTechfanatic
Black Hole
Options
QLED and The Frame
OK, then just use the steps device care
0 Likes
xela18954
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Clearing the memory through the device care is a temporary fix. After a while the YouTube app loses ability to playback the 4320p videos. 

Can you try to replicate the issue? 

0 Likes
JBTechfanatic
Black Hole
Options
QLED and The Frame
Do me a favor: run a speed test, then run a video speed test. Let me see the results. I'm trying to pinpoint the problem. Are you staying in the app and not leaving, and eventually, it stops? Also, do you have YouTube Premium? Have you manually switched to 8K in the YouTube settings drop-down box? Or do you just have it set to auto?1706922068518.jpg
0 Likes
Members_FhMjkzi
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Don't feel like you're alone. I have 2 Samsung TV 800A and 800C. I also get the same issues with both of them trying to play 8k content from youtube. I get a strong constant 87mb connection speed shown on the stats screen on the video (same with web based speed test) and I am also connected via the wired Ethernet. My service is 500mb so it's not a net carrier service issue either. I know because I switched out carriers simply because I thought they were the issue and not my 5 thousand dollar TVs. This is funny how it doesn't seem to happen with any of the 900 series of TV's. When it does connect to youtube and at the 8K resolution 4320p HDR it will only play for a little while (meaning minutes) before it buffers and automatically switches to a much lower resolution and not always 4k either. Also I just thought about this, I do not have a paid youtube service, only the free service provided through the Samsung TV app.

0 Likes
xela18954
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I guess, it is good to know that I am not the only one. šŸ˜’

0 Likes