Did you mean:Ā 

Original topic:

Odd Freeze | Reboot Phenomenon

(Topic created: 10-20-2021 12:23 PM)
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Discussions
So, some folks have probably read my replies where I state my phone will "freeze, then reboot" seconds later (40+ times a day).

Something I didn't notice until yesterday.

I enable Force Dark Mode (FDM) in Developer Options. FDM is not a persistent setting between reboots - IOW, if you reboot the phone, FDM will be disabled, so you need to enable it once again.

Okay, so these "freeze | reboots" that happen, that sequence happens in a shorter amount of time than a standard Restart. 

When I visit the FDM setting in Developer Options, the FDM setting is enabled.

The other thing I notice - let's say I have Members app and Brave app running at the time of the "freeze | reboot" ... after the phone has rebooted and settles in, the Members app and Brave will be running.

So, this must be a soft-reboot of sorts, whereby Android logs the apps running, then restarts them.

It's almost as if Android itself, as a whole, is not restarting, but some portion of the OS that went flakey. 
8 Replies
bigbad614
Comet
Options
Discussions
I completely agree with you and am experiencing the same thing.

This is the scenario that I have mentioned before that I have only noticed when my phone is face up and I see it happen.

My Galaxy Watch 4 never even notices it happening and I never receive a "disconnect" notification.

Cheers!
0 Likes
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Discussions
For me, my Watch3 does the "not connected to phone" vibration.
0 Likes
bigbad614
Comet
Options
Discussions
Well, at least you have that. Unless I stare at my phone, I only become aware the next time I launch the Members App and it wants to submit a crash report.
0 Likes
USBetaModerator
Beta Moderator
Options
Discussions

Hello @user751201tmO21  @bigbad614  

What you are experiencing is a system server reset. Your android framework is crashing and rebooting itself to restore functionality.  Please try the below. 

[Settings] ā†’ [Applications] ā†’ [Menu] ā†’ [Special access] ā†’ [Optimize battery usage] 
ā†’ Change the filter (upper left corner) to "All"  
ā†’ Find the browser related apps, and change the option from "ON" to "OFF" to exclude the app from "Battery optimize target" 

Regards
One UI Beta Team

0 Likes
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Discussions
Thanks, but "Optimize Battery Usage" is not an option for my 21 Ultra Unlocked under Special Access

And I did a global search in Settings - Optimize Battery Usage does not exist in Settings, for me
MochaVex
Supernova
Options
Discussions
That solution could possibly be present in Beta 3 and that's not released for our region just yet.
0 Likes
MochaVex
Supernova
Options
Discussions
I can manually trigger a freeze and soft reboot by attempting to change System UI tuner settings in developer options, so I'm backing your claim on the System UI being buggy somewhere.
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Discussions
Interesting ... thanks for feedback!
0 Likes