cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Watch keeps trying to download something in the background (screenshot)

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
escenkay
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions

I wore my watch to sleep yesterday. This morning I put it on the charger and got ready for work. After I got ready I wore the watch and noticed last few hours the download icon shows with a constant wifi icon in the notification shade showing it was connected. I figured the system was doing something in the background but its been like this last few hours and the battery has been taking a hit. I tried rebooting the watch and going into the recovery to clear cache but the issue seems to be persisting.

I don't know if others have come across this issue yet. I'm not downloading any apps from the playstore. When I click the download icon in the screenshot it doesn't do anything so I cannot tell what it is.

Also reported via Wearble app

Screenshot_20240614_103124_One UI Watch Home.png

9 Replies
Solution
escenkay
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions

Okay I found the issue.

It was Google Play Store. Checked my battery settings and it was only One UI Home Watch and Google Play Store. I force closed Google Play Store from the App List and the icon went away.

I reopened Google Play Store on the watch and the icon came back. I went back into the App List and deleted cache and data for Google Play Store and reopened and the icon went away and hasn't come back since.

Hope this helps anyone who faces a similar issue.

USBetaModerator3
Beta Moderator
Options
Discussions

Hello @escenkay ,

Thank you for your feedback and reporting the issue via Wearable app. 

During beta program, the software is not yet certified by Google, and therefore certain apps will not work as intended. We apologize for the inconvenience and will post a notice once it becomes certified by Google. You may try again at that time.
We appreciate your contribution to the Beta Program.

Regards,
One UI Beta Team

XanderHendrix
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions

I wonder if this is contributing to the poor battery life I am seeing. I do not have the ongoing download icon though.

escenkay
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions

Sorry to hear that. What is showing in your battery usage?

Wearable App->Watch Settings->Battery

Would start there and look for apps that may be contributing to your battery usage. You can't delete app cache or data from the Wearable app and it can only be done on the watch so if you identify something that you think may be affecting the battery I would suggest finding it on your Watch and clearing the app cache and data. 

After doing this I suggest clearing cache through the recovery as well for good measure. Reboot it and then charge it up and see if that helps. There are some videos on Youtube that will show how to access the recovery partition on the watch. Just be careful not to accidentally factory reset it (although if you do you should have a smartswitch backup).

For my specific issue, it was Google Play Store keeping a constant wifi connecting and draining the battery. After I cleared the cache and data, cleared cache via recovery, I charged it back to 100% and in 6 hours I am down to 86%, which is really good for me. 

Its beta firmware so it is expected to have bugs, I'm just one of those people that likes to tinker and try the latest software 🙂

0 Likes
XanderHendrix
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions

1000024738.jpg

Yeah nothing is really standing out as draining the battery as noted by the battery page in the Wear app. I will try another cache wipe through the recovery settings.

escenkay
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions

If all else fails then a factory reset, although pretty sure you've done that after updating to the beta right?

Don't know what apps you have installed but if factory resetting maybe try to restore it from backup without the apps. Give it a charge and see if you continue to have abnormal drain and then install apps back one by one. Tedious but I find this is usually to best way to find any rogue apps. 

Also pretty general but after any major os updates the settling period is a few days so battery won't be at it's best. 

Good luck~

escenkay
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions

Few things to check based on your screenshot:

1. Try charging up to full and turning off the Always On Display and use it for a day to see if battery is better or worse.

2. Assistant - Do you have the 'Hey Google' hotword activated? I know that can drain battery pretty quick as it is acticely waiting to hear the hot word to trigger. If so, might be worth it to turn it off and just summon via button press.

3. Samsung Declarative Watch...face(?) - Do you use a watch face with a lot of complications? I would check if any of those complications are constantly trying to refresh data as that could take a toll on battery

88% drain in a 12-13 hour span seems pretty excessive. Are you on a GW6 40/44mm or GW6C 43/47mm?

XanderHendrix
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions

Yeah as much as a completely clean start would be best, I would rather not go that far just yet. I don't really have too many apps installed so that might be the best plan.

XanderHendrix
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions

I'm using the exact same watch face and complications from before the beta and with aod active. I will look into the Google assistant as I did activate it with the new gestures. Maybe the new gestures are a big battery drain. I will experiment, but yes this is really not sustainable like this. It is the 47mm G6C version.