Did you mean: 

Original topic:

webview dependent apps such as Gmail crash immediately

(Topic created: 11-01-2022 04:37 AM)
taksan
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions

Last night, after an update of Android System Webview, webview dependent apps such as Gmail crash immediately.  I've gone through the troubleshooting, by uninstalling updates to webview, same with Chrome, disable chrome but the issue persists.  Any other suggestions?

nobumoto
Asteroid
Options
Discussions

Do you have a work profile?  And a secure folder?

0 Likes
eSudip
Asteroid
Options
Discussions

Yes, I have a work Profile, Not a Secure folder.
But applications inside the Work profile are also crashing which is major concern for me. 

0 Likes
nobumoto
Asteroid
Options
Discussions

Yes same for me, apps in my work profile are also impacted.  I have a feeling the developer is looking into the Secure Folder and Work profile - I dont know how those two are related.  He asked me to install webview in the Secure Folder.  But I think that is managed by the work profile and thus I cant add my own google app.  I may remove my work profile to see if that works.

0 Likes
eSudip
Asteroid
Options
Discussions

I have raised this in Android Community where Android developers may take a look, Requesting you guys to comment there to make some pressure. 

https://support.google.com/android/thread/186716333?hl=en

0 Likes
nobumoto
Asteroid
Options
Discussions

I removed my work profile, uninstalled the webview update, cleared cache partition, repaired apps - not fixed.  Took the update, cleared cachee, repaired apps, still no change.

0 Likes
taksan
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions
Ok i think I isolated the issue. Each profile and secure folders need to have access to WebView within their own environment. I was able to install WebView beta in my personal profile, and then add it to the secure folder "profile". However i was not able to do so in my work profile (managed by IT). So when I removed the work profile, both remaining environments had access to a WebView app, and now those apps work fine. So now I need to convince IT to allow WebView beta to be installed via the work profile. I attribute this issue to the samsung is beta because my tablet is working fine. I need my profile to work so I'll keep trying options.Screenshot_20221101_233006_Settings.jpg
0 Likes
eSudip
Asteroid
Options
Discussions

Hello All,

I managed to solve the issue, I have followed below steps
1. Left Beta group and removed beta WebView and restarted my phone , after reboot I update the app
2. Removed my work profile (You can do Secure folder in your case) and rebooted the phone again
3. After that my issue resolved, Then I added Work profile again and all is working as expected

0 Likes
taksan
Cosmic Ray
Options
Discussions
So similar approach to resolving the issue. I use my secure folder though. I'll give it a try as my work profile is more important than my secure folder. Your method suggests that the work profile can rely on the non beta WebView that is installed on the personal profile. Ultimately i want it to work with all three profiles, personal, work and secure folders.
0 Likes
nobumoto
Asteroid
Options
Discussions

Solution 1

a. remove work profile

b. install webview beta in personal profile

c. add that webview beta into Secure Folder

WORKED

Solution 2

a. work profile already removed

b. uninstalled webview beta

c. reboot

d. confirm standard webivew was still installed with updates 

e. remove Secure Folder

f. reboot

g. add work profile

WORKED
I have not worked on a solution with all three - personal, work and Secure Folder, but I suspect using the updated standard webview will still work with the work profile, but it will get hung up on the Secure Folder because I could not get the Google Play to login in that profile - the only way I got webview beta there was to install it in the personal profile and then ADD APP based on that to Secure Folder.  But then the issue will be the work profile somehow loses access to the standard webiew and I cant install Webview Beta - without engaging my IT team.  So for now its either a work profile OR a Secure Folder profile.

Any other input or thoughts would still be appreciated.

0 Likes
User_name
Black Hole
Options
Discussions

have you tried to uninstall Android System WebView? 

0 Likes