Did you mean:Ā 

Original topic:

USB Host Mode doesn't work without external power

(Topic created: 10-11-2021 03:05 PM)
Tofusaur
Constellation
Options
Questions

Hi, this has been an issue even before the beta but I think I'll get more traction writing it as a bug here.

The issue I'm having is that any kind of USB C device I plug in (headphone adapter, travel hub, C to A dongle, DEX dock) doesn't recognize properly unless the device itself can also provide pass-through power.

What happens is if I plug something in it just shows as my phone is charging the device but it never recognizes it as anything other than a power sink. If I use something that can pass through power such as a powered hub or a split headphone dongle then it'll recognize the device as soon as I plug it into power and start charging my phone.

However I'm never able to get it to fast charge doing this, even though my Galaxy Tab S5e will fast charge and recognize dongles without issue. My friend's S21 Ultra doesn't have this issue, and I haven't tried a factory reset (would rather resolve this without having to setup my phone all over again)

I checked the port itself and it's clean and doesn't have any dirt or debris, this happens with any USB C device I've plugged in, and otherwise my phone has pretty much no other issue.
Once in a while superfast charging won't recognize properly and I have to toggle it on and off or re-insert the cable, but I chalk that up to charger error.

0 Likes
3 Replies
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Questions
Won't answer all issues now, but is your charger an official Samsung super-fast? Or a third party charger?

Wife and I have the super-fast USB and the triple device fast wireless chargers and all phones /watches charge at the fastest rate possible

EDIT: standard plug earbuds with official Samsung standard to USB-C adapter works as expected.
0 Likes
Tofusaur
Constellation
Options
Questions

Charger doesn't matter, used 25w superfast, 90w lenovo pd, 20w aukey pd battery, 95w car charger with superfast support, none will charge faster than "cable charging" which isn't even enough to stop the battery draining.

All of them work perfectly fine when direct to phone.

0 Likes
USBetaModerator
Beta Moderator
Options
Questions

Hello @Tofusaur ,

If your Galaxy tab S5e and your friends GS21 Ultra are able to recognize dongle fine, it may be worth to take a trip to nearest service center to check for any hardware related issues. 

Regards
One UI Beta Team

0 Likes