Did you mean:Ā 

Original topic:

Change brightness slider to the same mechanics as the volume slider

(Topic created: 10-22-2021 06:35 PM)
userxEJQFoKStI
Asteroid
Options
Suggestions
The volume slider allows you to press anywhere on the volume bar and slide up and down. The brightness slider is set to change brightness from where you press the bar, not where you slide. 

I can't add a video. For example, if the volume is at 0%, you may slide starting from the 50% mark and it would begin sliding the volume up from 0% to 10% and on.

But for brightness, if the brightness is at 0% and you start sliding from the 50% mark, the brightness snaps to where you press, so it will instantly jump to 50%.

Changing the birghtness slider mechanics to the volume slider mechanics would be much better for the user as if you are using the phone with just your right hand, it is very difficult to change the brightness when it is low.
4 Replies
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Suggestions
Makes sense, if we think in terms of consistency.

I have some thought on these , in relation to how I use those sliders.

So I have my earbuds in (wired or Bluetooth), listening to music at low volume. I mostly use one of two methods to increase the volume

a) use the Volume up button on side of phone (Bluetooth)

b) I use the Volume up button on the wired earbuds controller

... Why?
I use the wired when riding the motorcycle, with helmet on.

I use the phone's physical volume button (Bluetooth earbuds) because the phone is in a pants pocket (walking around our ranch or riding the zero turn, etc).

It's rare I'd be staring at the phone's screen, then adjust the volume. And I'd never waste my time to unlock the screen just to adjust the volume.

But if I were to use the slider, I would expect the slider to operate exactly how the volume buttons work ... incrementally from where the volume is now - NOT jump to where my finger touched the slider .

Okay, now on to the brightness slider. BTW, I'm that person who manually adjusts brightness - I do not use Adaptive Brightness, cause the phone never gets it correct, for me.

This happens to me all the time. I'm sitting relaxing in the house, or maybe lounging in the barn apartment.

Then I decide to go out to do something in the pasture - guess what - I need to do something with my phone, but the brightness is waaaay low.

I need the brightness waaaay up right now ... I don't want it to slide up slowly and incrementally ... I need to tap at 90% and I want it there *now*.

So to me, each slider (should) works as they do now, because they are increasing (or decreasing) something very different.

But that's just me šŸ‘
0 Likes
userxEJQFoKStI
Asteroid
Options
Suggestions
I understand your point and I use the brightness slider in a similar way occasionally. However there are other times which I would want incremental brightness changes. Like when it is darker out and I need to adjust the brightness from 10% to 5%. If I am holding the phone in my right hand, I have to get my thumb to reach all the way to the left side of the screen which is not convenient at all. Especially to move the slider when is it low brightness.
0 Likes
CubZeke
Comet
Options
Suggestions
I like this idea. Even maybe add the brightness slider on top of the expanded volume menu when you press the volume buttons.
0 Likes
USBetaModerator
Beta Moderator
Options
Suggestions

Hello @userxEJQFoKStI ,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Your suggestion has been communicated to the developer and the development project manager is reviewing the content. After reviewing your suggestions, we will apply them to the official version if your proposal matches our concept. We appreciate your contribution to the beta program.

Regards,
One UI Beta Team

0 Likes