JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Kanopy not playing movie

(Topic created: 03-26-2024 10:02 PM)
uservqNEJgxo9d
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have a UN60 JS7000 FXZA. I’m able to download, open, and log into the Kanopy app.  When I choose to watch a movie (from my watchlist)  it does not play. I get the circle spinning as if it’s buffering but this goes on forever. I have a fast internet connection and movies works play just fine with the Netflix and Amazon apps.  But the Kanopy app is having problems. I have rebooted my TV as well as reinstalling the Kanopy app as their website suggests.  Any suggestions?  I was gonna contact Kanopy but I figure I would post this here first. Thanks. 

12 Replies
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
It's seems that the Kanopy app is having issues with their content, it could be that the servers are overwhelmed which would explain the Buffering
rs9
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

If the problem were with Kanopy's servers being unable to address the demand, it would not play on computers running the Kanopy app.  That's not the case for me, and obviously not the case with uservqNEJgxo9d.

It seems likely to me that the issue is with the Kanopy app for Samsung TV's, or with the TV's ability to run the app properly.  I hope Samsung will do a little more investigation.

uservqNEJgxo9d
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Thanks for the quick reply.

This is the first time I’m using the Kanopy app on my Samsung TV and the “movie loading screen” (with the spinning circle) just sits there for over 45 mins. Until I get fed up and exit the app. 

Weird… because my Apple iOS Kanopy app and even my Chromebook will load the movie immediately. 

I wasn’t aware that the Samsung Kanopy app would contact different Kanopy servers when compared to an Apple iOS app. 

Jai2
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I'm having the same issues. Kanopy works flawlessly on my iMAC and and old Samsung smart TV with Firestick attached. My 55 inch Samsung smart tv, wall mounted, offers the Kanopy app among its lists, I downloaded it but once I select a movie it just spins. I contacted Kanopy and they provided many suggestions, among which were: reboot the TV; remove and then reinstall the app. I did this and it worked fine for a few days, I watch 2 movies, but this week it reverted to the spinning fiasco. Very perplexing. I've emailed Kanopy again yesterday, waiting for an answer. Will share once I get it.

uservqNEJgxo9d
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Thanks for the reply.  I also rebooted the TV and reinstalled the app but got the spinning wait screen - never was able to watch a movie though.  I'm looking forward to seeing if you get a reply for a fix from Kanopy.  Thanks again Jai

0 Likes
Solution
Jai2
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Hello,

Here is the reply I received from Kanopy:

"Hi Jai,

I apologize for the delay and appreciate you getting back to me with those details!

Upon further review, the Kanopy team is aware of an issue with Kanopy for Samsung TVs where it looks like you still have available credits but are unable to watch videos. When this happens, you’ll need to wait until the beginning of the next month to view titles. 

Rest assured, the Kanopy team is working diligently to resolve the problem. I'm sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

Best,
Anna
OverDrive Technical Support"

Well I'm glad they're aware and are working on a fix. One thing I know for sure is that using a Firestick on the Samsung is a fix. I guess we just have to wait. By the way, Kanopy is now part of Overdrive.

mpnlg
Asteroid
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/4K-8K-and-Other-TVs/Kanopy-not-playing-movie/td-p/2686953

I seem to have the same, or similar, problem as that previously reported in the link above.  I have been a Kanopy member for a couple of months.  Until last night it was running fabulously.  Now I am getting the hanging described in this report.  I am down to a small number of remaining credits for the month and still 4 days to go.

Do you know whether the problem Kanopy knew about in October last year has been resolved.  If not, can the Kanopy team provide further advice as the how we can avoid it? (eg don't let credits go down below 5 ?). If it has been solved, perhaps there is another problem with the Samsung App that they need to know about.

Your assistance to sort this out would be greatly appreciated.

MeandShe
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs
I haven't been able to get help. STILL TRYING WOW!!!
0 Likes
Melmm
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have been successfully using Kanopy on my Samsung Smart TV for 2 or 3 years now.  No issues at all until a couple of weeks ago.   When I press play, I get the spinning hanging circle described above.  I've tried it over several days, and get the same result.  Just the hanging.  What's going on?  Why can't Kanopy get this resolved? 

0 Likes