Original topic:

TU850D TV not bright enough - no backlight option?

(Topic created: 10-05-2021 11:32 AM)
userHno74W0uTD
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Hi folks - have a 3-month old UN55TU850DFXZA and the screen is way too dim.  As far as I can tell, there is only a "brightness" adjustment - but this seems like it cannot get bright enough.  The picture settings are applied to all input sources and is very consistently too dark across all inputs.  In some inputs like watching Apple TV via the Samsung app, it is even worse.

I have also explored the eco-mode settings - where I've turned OFF the auto ambient lighting, etc.  but in that setting I also see reference to a backlight setting in Picture settings, but I don't see any option to adjust Backlight anywhere on this TV.

I realize too that different Picture settings such as "Natural" or Warm1 and Warm2 will most likely affect the brightness, but this is unacceptably dim, like something is wrong.  I should be able to have in on Natural but still crank up the brightness if desired.  

Seems I'm forced to only play around with brightness and contrast and contrast enhancing, etc. - none of which is a remedy.  Where is the option to adjust backlight?  What am I missing?

Very disappointing as this TV is otherwise awesome.

Thanks much - 

Brad

4 Replies
userHno74W0uTD
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

Does anybody have any insight or help?  Thanks!

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

I understand this is frustrating. Have you disabled the Power Saving mode as well? If you run the diagnostic Picture Test, is the display the same, or is it brighter?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userHno74W0uTD
Asteroid
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

i will try the Picture Test when I'm with the TV again soon.  And yes I believe I've successfully turned off Power Saving mode and Auto Ambient lighting, eco mode, etc.  My wife and I were watching YouTube TV and Apple TV the other day in a dimly lit room and unfortunately it was barely watchable!

I didn't realize there is a Picture Test feature so I will try that soon and report back.

But in the meantime - can you tell me if there is a Backlight setting on this TV?  Although there is a reference to it in the Eco mode settings, I don't see anywhere there is a place to adjust the Backlight, separate from "brightness".

Thanks!

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
4k, 8k and Other TVs

There is no a backlight setting separate from the Brightness on this TV.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes