JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

After May update phone app stopped working.

(Topic created: 05-12-2022 09:17 PM)
Options
Android 12
Hello,

Background:

I have a Note 20 5G 512GB. After the May 2022 update, my phone app stopped working properly. There are 3 issues:

1) After hanging up I get the call ended and time of call message, but the phone doesn't hang up. Instead you can hear the person or phone system still talking.

2) The touch tones aren't recognized by the phone system. I used Samsung Care Plus phone line as the test.

3) When I try to make a phone call, I'm told "Calling..." but it continues. After awhile, the phone says no Sim card. There is a T-Mobile SIM card and it's valid.

Samsung support:

1) Tried various things by Smart Tutor.
2) Had me go into safe mode.
3) Had me take it to UBreakIFix. They did a factory reset.

None of these fixed it. Now Samsung Care is send me a replacement phone.

If it is the May update, as I suspect then sometime soon the phone app will stop again.

Questions: 

Anyone else seeing this problem? If so, did you find a solution? 

If you have the same phone and the May 2022 update, is the phone app working or broken for you?

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Options
Android 12

Hello,

I just updated to the June 2022 update and the phone app still works.  Thus far, I've found the June 2022 to be acceptable.

View solution in context

0 Likes
11 Replies
User_name
Black Hole
Options
Android 12

what was the may update software version? about phone > software info > last 4 characters of build number

is this still happening with your replacement phone? 

0 Likes
Options
Android 12
Hello,

My replacement phone is on the April 1, 2022 update. It does NOT have any of the issues. I can call, hang up (and it works), use touch tones, and make a second / third / fourth / etc phone calls without rebooting.

I already did a factory data reset and mailed back the old phone. Should this phone update and the problem return I'll try to get the requested data.

Samsung should stop two things:
1) Sending out the May update.
2) Forcing updates upon people.

Better: Allow people to back out of the last update. It only makes sense. If I had had this ability, it would have saved Samsung money and been another diagnostic tool in finding the cause.
0 Likes
ILoveGab
Comet
Options
Android 12
The last update seems to have messed some things up for Note 20 users. I often get calls during the day (when my DND is off). I hear the phone ringing, but the alert for a phone call doesn't come up. My screen doesn't change (it's either off if my phone is locked, or if I'm on my phone, nothing changes on my screen). The only way I know I'm getting a call is because it rings. Then I need to pull the status bar down to see the call and answer it. I'm hoping this will be resolved in the next update. It's a little ridiculous. I honestly think some of the developers (most of samsung's employers, actually) have learning impairments. It's great that samsung hires these individuals, but there should be a quality control unit that functions non-internally.
0 Likes
Options
Android 12
Regression testing. I used to work for a testing group at IBM. Maybe Samsung should hire some experienced testers.

The other possibility is Samsung wants people off of the Note 20.

For years I would buy a new phone each and every year. No longer and for one reason. Lack of usable expanded storage! By usable I mean - cheap, fast, and small. The cloud is neither cheap nor fast. USB C drives are not cheap nor are they small.

Bring back the micro SD slot and I'll buy a new top of the line phone each and every year.
0 Likes
ILoveGab
Comet
Options
Android 12
I bought a very inexpensive USB to C adapter off ebay. I think it was around $5. It works well. Of course, I also had to buy a earphone jack adapter. I have bluetooth, but it's nice knowing I can plug in a pair of earbuds in case I lose my Bluetooth ones.
0 Likes
Options
Android 12
I find USB drives to be too big to hold the phone and drive in one hand while typing / using phone in the other hand. Try doing work in a car that way.
0 Likes
ILoveGab
Comet
Options
Android 12
I was curious, so I searched and found that they sell adapters for micro SD cards too. They seem pretty small. I may order one myself! 😅
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114602042129?hash=item1aaed06311:g:mtAAAOSwFQRhpDdo
0 Likes
Options
Android 12
Thanks! Yeah, it would work. Sigh, it lets Samsung off the hook, somewhat. I don't think I will upgrade automatically, but when my Note 20 5G 512GB wears out.

Considering I have a S3 (gave it to a friend) and it's still working great - I suspect this Note 20 will last a decade. Maybe by then Samsung will be back to outstanding expanded storage options.
0 Likes
ILoveGab
Comet
Options
Android 12
I plan on keeping this phone for awhile too (keep the screen dimmer, close apps to avoid screen burn, etc), unless something great comes along. I've been a faithful samsung customer, but no more. I've been looking at other phone manufacturers for my husband's next phone. Samsung's customer service agents... well, take a look at what happened last month.. at 1 o'clock in the morning nonetheless...Screenshot_20220523-183527_Messages_3662_1653345404.jpg
0 Likes