JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Firmware update broke windows hello on my Galaxy Book3 Ultra

(Topic created: 03-06-2024 06:46 AM)
userZLPhMrafLU
Constellation
Options
Computers

I've been using my Galaxy Book3 Ultra for quite some time (I bought this laptop very soon after it was first available) and Windows Hello has worked perfectly ... until a few weeks ago.  I got a notice from the Samsung Update tool that there was new firmware for my laptop.  I said "okay" and the firmware update applied.  I couldn't login with Windows Hello with PIN, face, or fingerprint and got into some state on the login screen where I needed to re-add or re-validate my Microsoft account.  That worked.

I've been able to re-activate login with PIN via Windows hello, but face and fingerprint don't work anymore.

Any suggestions?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Computers

Since the information did not help the next step would be to do a complete factory reset to fix this. I would recommend making sure that all important documents are backed up as they will be removed during this process. If that does not solve the issue then service would be next. If you wish you can also reach out to Microsoft support for more help with windows hello as this is one of Microsoft's features with Windows. Depending on you warranty you will have a couple of options. 

- If your device was recently purchased, you can check with your retailer on their return/exchange processes.
- If you have an extended warranty you can reach out to them to have service processed. 
- If you're within the one year warranty, you can Private message me or one of our moderators or you can call in directly at 1-800- 726-7864 with your full model and serial number to have service setup
- If you're OUT of warranty, for depot type products (Soundbars, Home Theater Systems, tablets, ect.) that require to be shipped we recommend you speak with our depot team for pricing and to have the service set up: 1-310-669-4334.

View solution in context

6 Replies
aanderson05
Constellation
Options
Computers

i am having the same issue -_-

0 Likes
userZLPhMrafLU
Constellation
Options
Computers
I did a round of Windows updates in the last few days and I was able to reactivate face and fingerprint login.
0 Likes
aanderson05
Constellation
Options
Computers

okay, I just checked and I don't have any windows updates at the moment. Hopefully I can do the same in the next few days

0 Likes
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Computers

Hello! Thank you for reaching out! If the windows update did not help then I would recommend trying some of the information from the Microsoft support page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-with-windows-hello-bf68539e-e95e-4.... Please let me know if this helped! 

0 Likes
aanderson05
Constellation
Options
Computers

it is still not working. I have checked for updates multiple days in a row, installed them. I also used the link you sent and when i troubleshoot it, it says it passes all the tests. not sure what else to do

0 Likes
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Computers

Since the information did not help the next step would be to do a complete factory reset to fix this. I would recommend making sure that all important documents are backed up as they will be removed during this process. If that does not solve the issue then service would be next. If you wish you can also reach out to Microsoft support for more help with windows hello as this is one of Microsoft's features with Windows. Depending on you warranty you will have a couple of options. 

- If your device was recently purchased, you can check with your retailer on their return/exchange processes.
- If you have an extended warranty you can reach out to them to have service processed. 
- If you're within the one year warranty, you can Private message me or one of our moderators or you can call in directly at 1-800- 726-7864 with your full model and serial number to have service setup
- If you're OUT of warranty, for depot type products (Soundbars, Home Theater Systems, tablets, ect.) that require to be shipped we recommend you speak with our depot team for pricing and to have the service set up: 1-310-669-4334.