JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

SSD initialize query

(Topic created: 04-03-2024 03:33 AM)
Rob-Sam
Constellation
Options
Computers

Just installed an 870 QVO 4TB SSD. It will be a photo storage drive, I need to know, if I am initializing it, does it have to be set as GUID Partition table?

I think Yes as it is not a larger C: System drive replacement.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
STRATA
Galaxy
Options
Computers
GPT GUID IS PREFERRED FOR TODAY'S SYSTEMS, IF ITS WINDOWS SYSTEMS NTFS WITH BIT LOCKER IS IDEAL BUT NOT MUST DO HOWEVER IF YOU DO, MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR ENCYPTION KEY EITHER WITH YOUR MICROSOFT ACCOUNT OR OFFLINE ON A OLD USB KEY OR DISK AND KEEP IT IN A SAFE PLACE AND LABEL IT FOR REFERENCE.

View solution in context

6 Replies
3Fees
Nebula
Options
Computers
ExFat file system format is default for Android when drive or card is greater than 32GB.

Cheers
3fees
0 Likes
Rob-Sam
Constellation
Options
Computers

It's a desktop Win 10 PC 4TB drive, NOT mobile.

0 Likes
STRATA
Galaxy
Options
Computers
HEY ROB-SAM if for photo backup, best bet if you dont mind or if you have an extra money to spend set a storage pool (software RAID) for backup, this way even if one drive fails it's still backed up, also I use that set up also for photos but offline so its not always powered on, also yes you have to intialize it and format it desired format for usage, so it depends on your needs if the drive (s) is going to be for just one computer EXFAT is fine to use, which is also capable of being used on other systems, but if not then do a quick search about storage formats for needs.
0 Likes
Rob-Sam
Constellation
Options
Computers

Thanks for the suggestions RAID = money 😞 

What I need is a definitive answer. I've installed an 870 QVO SSD. It needs configuring, How?

Using diskmgmnt.msc I see Disk 2 Not initiallised and a popup, you must initialise a disk.

There are TWO radio buttons

1. MBR (Master boot record)

2. GPT (GUID partition table)

I think I need option 2 as it will NOT be a copy of a C: drive.

Is that correct? I have thousands of images/videos I don't want to have to do this again.

Cheers.

0 Likes
Solution
STRATA
Galaxy
Options
Computers
GPT GUID IS PREFERRED FOR TODAY'S SYSTEMS, IF ITS WINDOWS SYSTEMS NTFS WITH BIT LOCKER IS IDEAL BUT NOT MUST DO HOWEVER IF YOU DO, MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR ENCYPTION KEY EITHER WITH YOUR MICROSOFT ACCOUNT OR OFFLINE ON A OLD USB KEY OR DISK AND KEEP IT IN A SAFE PLACE AND LABEL IT FOR REFERENCE.
Rob-Sam
Constellation
Options
Computers

Bizzarre, it's almost impossible not to offend anyone now.

I said thank you STRATA, as the British do when drinking an alcoholic beverage, also I recollect an American sitcom with Kelsey Grammar of the same name ?

I received this email

Hi,
We regret to inform you that your recent post, (MY REPLY TO YOU OF ONLY ONE WORD.)

"Ch**rs.", <---- What? (Sounds like CHEARS with two E's)

but has been removed because it violates the Forums Terms of Use, which prohibit: Spam
Please feel free to post a revised message, but make sure to following the community guidelines. – we value your contributions!

0 Likes