Original topic:

Being charged out of warranty repair fees after an update

(Topic created: 07-27-2021 07:32 PM)
jaggi
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi,

I had samsung s10 which was pre‐ordered when released. Last week on July 20th i received OS  security update which got installed on my device at night time. Early morning when i woke up my phone was dead. I thought it to be battery drain so kept my phone in charging. It didnt light up and i tried powering on ( forced start & holding power button for 30s) but all in vain. I then reached out to ubreakifixit, where technicians  tried 3 new battery swaps and still were  not able to power on my device. They suggested me to ship the device to samsung care/service center ( which i did)

Today (july 27th) i got notification  email saying that my PBA needs to be repaired and fees are $383 as i am out of warranty. I called customer service to understand  what is PBA ? After talking with a representative  my call was forwarded  to R&D where a technician  informed me that your motherboard  needs *upgrade* to run the latest OS software that was installed. I asked that person that why do i need to upgrade my motherboard  where Samsung policy is to support OS uogrades for 3 years at least. My device  is not that old. If you want to upgrade then do it but given that its samsung OS that broke my device Samsung should do the repairs for free.. the technician  said *no*, because my device is out of warranty. I am like warranty is meant for stuff that is broken not for upgrades.

I have been fighting  this battle with different  customer service representatives and all i hear is about warranty.

I hope that others be extra careful of Samsung scam by making you pay for PBA repair when yourndevice is out if warranty.

4 Replies
TheGalaxy
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I would just buy another S10 for less than $300
0 Likes
jaggi
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

planning to do that let's see.. I might switch to Pixel looking at how terrible samsung has done its job for customer service

0 Likes
SteveFrench8801
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
From what I can see, you can get a used logic board for around $100. Installation isn't time consuming, and most local repair shops can swap them out. Just make sure they use an actual gasket to seal glass back, to help with water resistance.
0 Likes
user6yN1MULuRH
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

A number of s10e owners including myself has camera failed issue after the recent security update. Here is the thread Camera fail after August 2021 security update - Page 2 - Samsung Community - 1964525

It seems this update has caused a lot of major issues. When is Samsung going to release a fix for this.

0 Likes