JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Smart select not working?

(Topic created: 10-19-2019 10:36 PM)
userr1asjuJyJU
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Since updating my S8 earlier this week, I have tried over and over to use the smart select feature, but after I crop my image and hit 'done', rather than give me the usual options to save/share, it freezes for a few seconds and then closes completely without keeping the picture. I have updated my edge panel and tried powering the phone off for a few minutes but it still isn't working.

6 Replies
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@userr1asjuJyJU wrote:

Since updating my S8 earlier this week, I have tried over and over to use the smart select feature, but after I crop my image and hit 'done', rather than give me the usual options to save/share, it freezes for a few seconds and then closes completely without keeping the picture. I have updated my edge panel and tried powering the phone off for a few minutes but it still isn't working.

@userr1asjuJyJU 

Wipe cache partition:

1) Turn off the device.
2) Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
3) When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
4) An 'Installing system update' message will show for some seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
5) Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
6) Press Power key to select.
7) Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
😎 When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
9) Press the Power key to restart the device.

0 Likes
usera1jMYZp2fp
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@Charkatak I have been experiencing the same issue, and wiping the cache partition as instructed above did not solve the problem. Do you have another suggested fix for this? 

@Charkatak wrote:

@userr1asjuJyJU wrote:

@userr1asjuJyJU 

Wipe cache partition:

1) Turn off the device.
2) Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Bixby key, then press and hold the Power key.
3) When the Android logo displays, release all three keys.
4) An 'Installing system update' message will show for some seconds before the Android system recovery menu options appear.
5) Press the Volume down key several times to highlight wipe cache partition.
6) Press Power key to select.
7) Press the Volume down key to highlight yes, them and press the Power key to select.
😎 When the wipe cache partition is complete, Reboot system now is highlighted.
9) Press the Power key to restart the device.

0 Likes
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@userr1asjuJyJU 

So lets try to reproduce the issue.  Could you tell me step by step what app you open and what you do, so I can try it on my phone?

0 Likes
userr1asjuJyJU
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

It's both the rectangle and oval select on the samsung edge panel. As I mentioned before, I did nothing but use it normally (swiping to open the edge panel, selecting the rectangle option, cropping my image, then pressing 'done'), but after the system update, it freezes when I hit 'done' and then simply closes. Very rarely, it'll still work and allow me to share/save a cropped image but it'll go back to freezing/closing again later on.

Solution
Guyshir
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I am having same issue with Galaxy S8. So, I tried different things but solution is still temporary.

For me, smart select works in secure folder, but not outside.

Just so you know, even if smart select doesn't give you the option to save, it has the last picture saved. To view follow path. My Files - Internal Storage - Andriod - data - com.samsung.andriod.app.smartcapture - files - pictures.

Once you are in data, click 3 dots on top: select sort: date and decending. It will bring com.samsung.andriod.app.smartcapture on top.

Solution 1:

Go to Settings - Apps - click on 3 dots on top right and select show system apps. Scroll down to Samsung Capture, select storage and then clear data. You will just lose the app permissions. 

Now if you use edge panel to capture. You should be able to use smart select.

Solution 2: (Easier)

1. Take a screenshot.

2. Just delete the screenshot from the drop down notification panel.

3. Use smart select.

They both solve the problem for a few minutes. So, you have to repeat either of 2 to get it working next time you want to use. Irritating, but gets the work done.

Hope they will fix this is next update.

userfdj2PAnCpA
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Worked for me! Thanks!!! 

0 Likes