Original topic:

Time change

(Topic created: 03-10-2024 11:22 AM)
TamiaSW
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
I thought cell phones automatically changed times with Daylight Savings. Mine didn't. It only cost $100, so perhaps it'd only the expensive phones that do? 
I can't figure it out on my Samsung A0S. Thoughts?

5 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S20

@TamiaSW Make sure that you have automatic time setting enabled.

1. Open phone settings
  2. Click on General management
  3. Click on Date and time
  4. Enable the option Automatic date and time
TigerLilly02
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
My date and time are on auto update, but my alarm didn't go off at 2:30am. When I looked at it at 3, it still said 30 minutes to go, but I actually overslept by 30 minutes. Any reason why?
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S20

@TigerLilly02 DST changes occur at 2 am. So at 2 am the clock on your phone changed the time from 2 am to 3 am. I'm guessing that something odd happened because the time you set for the alarm never really occurred this morning. Anything from 2:00 am to 2:59 am never occurred. 

0 Likes
TigerLilly02
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
Yes, that makes sense. However, when I woke up, it said that my alarm had 30 minutes left before my alarm went off. I appreciate your response. It still has me stumped
0 Likes
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S20
I think that maybe the alarm is determined by the amount of time from when you set it. For example, let's say at midnight you set an alarm for 2:30 am. That is 2 hours and 30 minutes away. Because of the DST change, 3 am this morning was only 2 hours after midnight. So if it was set for 2 hours and 30 minutes from midnight, it would ring at 3:30 am this morning.

I'm posing this as a possible explanation. But I don't agree that this is best way to code an alarm.

There is no good programmatic way to handle an alarm in the 2-3 am time span during DST.
0 Likes