Original topic:

"Warning: Camera Failed" motherboard issue?

(Topic created: 07-13-2021 10:52 AM)
usery8mjlJXNj8
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
Hello!

S20 Ultra 
SM-G988U1

About a month ago, I started intermittently getting the "Warning: camera failed" dialogue a couple times a day. (only rear-facing camera) I was always able to close the camera app and reopen with no issues. After a few days though, it got progressively worse to the point that my camera would only open for about 10 seconds (enough time to take a couple of photos) then crash. At this time, if I tried switching to the front facing camera or video, it would just fail. Randomly, sometimes both cameras would work fine for about 20 mins before going back to crashing.

Here's what I tried:

- reset camera settings
- remove SD card
- force stop camera
- clear cache and data for camera app
- clear cache partition
- restart phone in safe mode
- factory reset multiple times
- tried opening camera in different apps (Snapchat, Instagram, open camera, etc) 
- Phone is fully updated

Finally, I took my phone to a repair shop which replaced both the front and rear facing camera. He actually tried several different replacement parts because he wanted to make sure it wasn't a defective part when the first replacement didn't resolve the issue. 

The repair tech suggested that it's probably a motherboard issue. After replacing my camera, the camera app immediately gives me the error and crashes at this point, not allowing me to even take a couple photos.

But here's what gets me. When I go to diagnostics on the Samsung Members App, I CAN take a photo using my rear facing camera. It sometimes freezes when I go to front facing camera.

Additionally, if I use *#0*# I AM able to take a photo with the MEGA CAM and FRONT CAM options. TOF CAMERA TEST gives me RD1:PASS

And now, for whatever reason, the camera works fine in all apps EXCEPT the stock camera app. Stock camera gives me the camera failed error and immediately crashes. The only time I run into an issue with Open Camera is if I switch to "ID 2", which seems to be the wide back camera. Zoom also results in very low quality.

It almost seems like there's some sort of hardware issue with the wide angled camera, and the stock software can't handle it. 

Now the issue has occurred across all apps a couple times now, but it's only for a short period of time. I actually disabled almost all permissions to the stock gallery app and started using Google Go Gallery as it seems that the issue happens after using the stock Gallery App. Since I've stopped using both stock camera and gallery apps, the issue has no yet reoccurred. 

So, sorry for info dumping, but what do y'all think? Motherboard issue? Or something wrong with the stock Camera Software? I have seen suggestions for similar issues to flash the firmware/OS. 

Oh and just to add, facial recognition for unlocking my phone IS working. 
10 Replies
userAsv41DNMFd
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
My camera is doing the same thing now. It was slowly getting worse and now doesn't work at all
0 Likes
usery8mjlJXNj8
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
When did you start having issues? And are you able to use the camera in any other apps?
0 Likes
userAsv41DNMFd
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
Started about a week ago. And no it doesn't work in any app
0 Likes
userDnjBM8lyFB
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S20
The camera fail issue is a common problem with samsung phones. You will see when you Google the error. It happened to me after only 4 months of ownership. I took it to their vendor, ubreakifix, and they could not fix it. So I had to return it to Samsung and they fixed it and returned my phone within a week
0 Likes
ashiii
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S20
It's been a common and very annoying issue, my local repair place can't fix it and the nearest Samsung store is unfortunately 6 hours away. The only thing I can do is remove camera permissions from the stock camera app, restart my phone, and use Gcam instead. It's a shame because the stock camera app has amazing stabilization that I won't be able to use anymore.
0 Likes
juice11211
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S20
I have tried settings, going to memory, clearing cache, also checking for updates. Last one was from 2021,January. 
It says I'm up to date. 
0 Likes
Paul1961
Comet
Options
Galaxy S20
Which model of phone is it?
0 Likes
Sam1793
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S20
My camera on my galaxy S20 will no longer open, I've tried force stopping the app, restarting it multiple times and leaving it off for up to 10 mins at a time but it still won't work. I went to support and they told me to do a soft restart, still didn't help.

Not sure what caused the problem, but basically when I try to take pictures the app goes black then pops up a white box that says "camera failed to open" and it closes out.

Any suggestions? 
Blue7
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S20

have you tried to open it in safe mode? 

submit an error report on members app > + button > error report if it doesn't open in safe mode either

0 Likes