Original topic:

Getting Selfies with Sharp (Non Person) Backgrounds

(Topic created: 03-03-2024 01:12 AM)
Geoff1964
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

I'm new to shooting with a Samsung.

If I want a selfie with me, and say a background with a building or monument in focus I can't do it. Non person backgrounds are blurred, - I'm sharp but the background isn't. Is this overcomable?

I'm using 4:3, ie the whole sensor. Swapping between 10 and 40 m/p doesn't seem to work. I get there is an option for one person versus a group, but this is not what I want.

I want selfies of one person with sharp backgrounds regardless of depth. It happened by default on a pixel.

1 Reply
Ray_Ginald
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
Hello @Geoff1964, this is a phenomenon known as "autofocus." It's simply optics, which mimicks, to some extent, the human eye whereby when you focus your vision on an object, the rest of the background in your field of vision goes out of focus or blurred out. Samsungā€™s smartphone camera does the same, and there's no sure way of preventing this, at least not manually. Do make sure, however, that you're not on "Portrait" mode when shooting as this applies the effect you're complaining about. Otherwise, you can always undo it via software editing in the Samsung Gallery app.
0 Likes