Original topic:

Is there a way to unsync photo gallery from Google photos?

(Topic created: 09-18-2023 12:50 PM)
Jamrus
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21

Is there way to unsynch my local photo gallery from Google Photos? I do not want GP to delete my pics from the gallery when I delete them from the GP cloud backup, how can I do it?

15 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@Jamrus Sure.

1. Open Google Photos app
  2. Click on your avatar in upper right
  3. Click on Photos settings
  4. Click on Backup
  5. Turn off Backup via the slider. 
0 Likes
DanielTheBigD
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
1. Go to your Google Photos app.
2. Tap on your profile picture.
3. Tap on Photos Settings.
4. Tap on Backup.
5. Turn of the Backup toggle by tapping it.
For deleting pictures and videos from just the Photos app, I don't think it's possible with the app, but instead the Photos website. I don't think it will sync so you should be good.
0 Likes
Jamrus
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Thanks, gonna give it a try.
0 Likes
DanielTheBigD
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
You are gladly welcome.
0 Likes
Kdrewh
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
To my knowledge these recommendations will completely turn off backup. I think what you're looking for is a way to delete from Photos (Google) but it still stay on the phone. That is not possible. Google now deletes from the device too. The best option I can suggest is create a single folder in Gallery that is not synced to photos and move anything there that you don't want backed up to Google. (maybe I misunderstood your goal but I think that's what I read)
Jamrus
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S21
Thank you and I've tried that, but any new folder gets synced up. How do I unsynch it from the GP?
0 Likes
Kdrewh
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
Open photos and then click "library" at the bottom. You should see a list called "photos on device". If you click one of those albums you should see a toggle that allows you to turn it off for specific albums. See screenshots.
Kdrewh
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
Note the albums with a little cloud and the crossed out line mean they are not backing up. SmartSelect_20230918_162535_Photos_1000042645_1695072335.jpgScreenshot_20230918_162506_Photos.jpg
Kdrewh
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
Were you able to get this fixed?