JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

As of last week, my phone won't use wifi network for texts or calls, if airplane mode is enabled.

(Topic created: 10-23-2022 09:34 AM)
JCrunchy
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22

So I work in a steel building and Verizon service is terrible in there. (ATT works flawlessly in there). My solution to this has always been to turn airplane mode on, and use the wifi network. I turn on airplane mode to force the phone to use wifi, because if I don't, it will insist on using the virtually non-existent Verizon service and not make calls or texts. This has worked beautifully for me since I got my s22 and switched to Verizon in April. Last week this suddenly stopped working. It's like the phone doesn't even recognize that wifi is available for calls or text, but it will use wifi to browse the web or use apps. If I try to send a text it says "searching for connection" and if I try to make a call it says that I can't do that with airplane mode enabled. I will not receive any texts or calls either. The green phone button you press on the keypad screen to make calls doesn't show the wifi bars next to it. But again, if I want to watch a YouTube video I could do that no problem. 

Wifi calling is enabled. I have tried turning this on and off (while NOT in airplane mode) and have restarted my phone. I have also reset the network settings and this worked for about an hour. I don't believe it's the wifi network at my work because like I said, I can use it for the internet and apps, and I also did a test using my network at home and it does the same thing. I have done all relevant updates on my phone. I asked Verizon and the tech insists this would never work in a metal building if no Verizon service was available, ignoring the fact that that's what wifi calling is for, and that I have been doing it since April and it wont even work at my house where I have good service. I'm feeling defeated ðŸ˜“

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Options
Galaxy S22

submit an error report on SSM after replicating the issue
Samsung Members app > Get help > Send feedback > Error reports

View solution in context

0 Likes
7 Replies
MojoRisin179
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Connecting to open wifi is super risky. I'd restore from a secure backup point previous to your problem just to make sure.
0 Likes
JCrunchy
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
I understand but this is a very small business, 3 of us. One is 82 years old and doesnt know how to type a password lol and the other is my friend. The wifi network is secured and not public.
NPC1
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S22
What changed in the last week? What's the strength of the wifi? Kinda of odd that your phone would prefer data to wifi if wifi is stronger.

There is a setting in wifi advanced to prefer Mobile Data if wifi is weak
Maybe turn that off?
JCrunchy
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22

I've been really scratching my head asking myself that question but I can't think of anything. 

That setting was enabled, I turned it off since I only use wifi when I have no service. Although when I then put my phone into airplane mode, that option becomes grayed out anyways and tells me to "Turn off airplane mode to use mobile data"

I just placed a wifi call with airplane mode on. I am at my home. I am going to try this at work tomorrow and see if I still have issue there. Something interesting to try, regardless, is your suggestion of turning off "prefer mobile data if wifi is weak" -- I may not even need to use airplane mode at all with that setting turned off. Although our wifi is top notch at work, so I'm not sure why my phone wouldn't see it as a better option than the virtually non-existent cell service.

0 Likes
NPC1
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S22
Also when you get a chance see if everything works accordingly in Safe Mode. If it does, then an app or setting was disturbed and you just need to track it down. Good luck.
0 Likes
JCrunchy
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
Okay cool, I've seen Safe Mode mentioned before but never knew really what the purpose of trying it was. I will do this as well and update tomorrow.
0 Likes
Solution
Options
Galaxy S22

submit an error report on SSM after replicating the issue
Samsung Members app > Get help > Send feedback > Error reports

0 Likes