Original topic:

Contact names aren't appearing in messages app

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
SoloQuest74
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
Hey S22 Ultra users...has anyone experienced the names(contacts) not showing in the Samsung messages app? I just see phone numbers and no names next to all of my text messages. I don't know who is who with numerous phone numbers attached to text messages. It's been happening since March of this year (2024). Am I the only one experiencing this??? 
32 Replies
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22

Have you been traveling and using wi-fi calling?  I don't use Samsung Messages, I use Google, but I notice that happens with certain contacts while I have my phone in airplane mode with wi-fi on. It all returns to normal when I take  it off airplane mode.

SoloQuest74
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
Yes, I do travel for work. And I never thought it would cause such a thing to happen. I had the S22 Ultra for 2 years. It never happened last year when I traveled outside the U.S.
I turn on airplane mode occasionally when abroad just for making wifi calls. Then, I turn off airplane mode when texting or browsing the web. I have T-Mobile service, so I am NOT worried about charges for texting or browsing.
0 Likes
SoloQuest74
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
So should I move ALL my contacts in my phone to Samsung's phone book instead of Google's phone book?
0 Likes
SoloQuest74
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
This latest debacle is making me wanna go with a Pixel phone. It's crazy that Smasung has to duplicate the same apps that Google has and it makes everything so aggravating and nerve-wracking!
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22

I am not so sure it's Samsung's fault, since it's happening in both Samsung & Google messages and Google programming is the foundation of the operating system, so you might encounter the same issue with a Pixel, which is all Google.

Also, it can't hurt to move all your contacts to Google.  Makes it easy to access and edit them from anywhere on any device.  You can do it right from the contacts app.

0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22

T-mobile doesn't charge for texting or browsing abroad. I have T-Mobile and never had a problem. You will be charged, however if your phone rings even if you don't answer it and it goes to voicemail, so best to forward all calls directly to VM if you intend to turn your phone on for browsing.

Funny thing, though. Not all my contacts revert to numbers only, but I haven't figured out why. I have always kept all my contacts only in Google contacts for simplicity. Maybe it has something to do with my contacts who don't keep their own contacts in Google. It hasn't annoyed me enough to investigate. Especially since I discovered it goes right back to normal when I'm back home.

I haven't actually noticed whether it reverts back when airplane mode is off, or just when I'm back home -- might have something to do with being abroad.

SoloQuest74
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
It was a typo. I know T-Mobile doesn't charge for texting or browsing abroad in many countries. Also, if I make calls while abroad, I use wifi calls and it's free that way.
My concern was about my contacts not showing up on my S22 Ultra in the Samsung text messaging app. I had same issues when I used Google text messaging app. I don't know why it's been happening since March or so earlier this year. I see all phone numbers next to the text messages. I don't know who is who because there aren't any names attached.
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
For me, since it's all personal, I can figure out who it is just by the content of the conversation.
0 Likes
SoloQuest74
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
I have too many conversations going on and I don't want to send(text) someone the wrong info if you know what I mean šŸ˜œ
0 Likes