Original topic:

Feature Request: Answering calls after sending to voicemail

(Topic created: 06-10-2024 08:39 AM)
userkR8tlqcUW1
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23

Apple iphones has this cool feature when calling a apple users phone the user can still answer even after the call has been sent to voicemail. Get to work Samsung Galaxy developers. 

8 Replies
Options
Galaxy S23
That's interesting. What happens when someone starts leaving a voicemail? Is it saved? Do you end up with numerous half voicemails that you need to listen to and delete?
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

Might work similar to old landline answering machines, if you picked up after the machine answers, it just stopped recording.  Sometimes, if you didn't pick up in time, you ended up with a recording of your whole conversation (which could prove useful), unless you turned it off manually.

Options
Galaxy S23
I know when I miss a call from someone I know, they half up and they know I'll call them back when I get a chance, so they don't leave a message. The only voicemails I get are from solicitors and my elderly neighbor who thinks my voicemail is an answering machine (no matter how many times I explained it to her). I still wouldn't pick up, though. The whole purpose of vm is convenience. Either we'll call back, or we won't. Still, it would be a nice option to have for those who want it.
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

Well, Phone by Google has a call screening option (not exactly the same thing), so one could always download that and use it as their default phone dialer app.  May stop some spam callers or robocalls from going to the VM box.

Options
Galaxy S23
I use a third-party app called YouMail. I've been using it for years. It filters most junk calls, and you can select different greetings for different callers.
JoJo4360
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S23
Who cares as long as you can interrupt and ANSWER that call! A great PLUS! That's the first drawback I noticed with cellphones 25 years ago. Sure hope Samsung gets busy on this- like what had already been said 🙄 😀
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S23
I was merely mentioning that there are numerous methods that block spam calls, something that iPhones simply do not have due to their limited access to third party apps.
Also, with landlines, people didn't have access to their house phones wherever they went. If they were outside or in the garage and heard the phone ring, they would rush in and then answer the call after the answering machine picked out up. That's understandable. But with mobile phones, they're with you everywhere. That's why they isn't anyone else asking for this feature.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23

Also, I understand many people don't even like to take actual phone calls these days and would much rather text.  If a call goes to voicemail, one can listen to the message and decide whether to call back or ignore it. Calling back after VM really is only problematic is if you are waiting for a call from someplace you cannot easily get to, like if you are waiting for a callback from tech support and you have no way to get back to the actual person that called you and have to go through your saga of problems again.  And, as @ILoveGabcom said, people have their phones with them most of the time, so really aren't missing many calls except for ones they choose to ignore.  I do admit though, that sometimes you either don't hear the phone right away, or it's in another room and you get there on the last ring, so it would be nice to be able to pick up while VM is being left.  However, I would estimate a good 85% of callers do not leave VM, especially if it's not important (contacts figure you see their name on the call list and will call back anyway), and hang up when VM picks up; so you would not even have the opportunity to recover the call.

0 Likes