Original topic:

Galaxy s23 FE automatically installed eSIM?

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
richone71
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

Has anyone else had a problem recently with an esim being installed on your phone automatically? Within the past 3-4 weeks, I have found that an esim has been downloaded to my phone overnight multiple times. Could this be the result of some software update/patch? I already have a physical SIM installed on the phone and it has worked flawlessly for the previous 3 months. The main problem with this is that after downloading, the phone makes the me esim the current SIM for callining, texting, etc even though the esim itself isn't activated. That results in me being locked out of my mobile network (Xfinity). It's easy to fix by just removing the esim. I just don't want to have to keep doing this again and again. After the first incident, I did change the setting for adding an esim to ask for my phone lock code. Unfortunately, it was still able to download a esim. I'm wondering if this is a Samsung/Xfinity issue or if my galaxy or phone number has been compromised.

5 Replies
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23

Sounds like your phone is dual sim capable. The e-sim should be there but not active.  Can you change your primary sim to the physical sim?  It should be listed as SIM 1 with your # and carrier info.  There should be a slider next to it to make it primary and also one next to the esim to disable it or make it secondary.

richone71
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

Thank you for the reply. My phone is indeed dual capable. The physical SIM is set as the primary and the slider for it is on. The problem occurred when the esim was downloaded. It's slider was also turned on. I think that was what was causing the conflict with my mobile network. I actually disabled and deleted the esim the first time it happened but it got downloaded again about a week ago. I deleted it a second time but it popped back up again when I checked my phone this morning.  It feels like it's some type of overnight auto update from Samsung or my mobile carrier. 

realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23

The e-sim is a permanent fixture, it should actually be greyed out if it's not been activated. I have an A54 and it is dual sim capable.  It has a sim tray that an hold 2 physical sims or a sim and an SD card.  It also has an e-sim. It actually shows an esim, but it's not active, and gives me the ability to add it.  This is what I see in sim manager: 

Screenshot_20240429_152649_Call settings.jpg

So, you are saying that you are having an actual e-sim being auto downloaded, but no number or carrier associated with it?  That's wild, and I cannot think of a reason for it.  I would suggest contacting your carrier's tech support people and seeing if there is some kind of confusion.  Perhaps it might be easier to remove the physical sim and have the carrier activate the e-sim.

egcw
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
I have a problem with my sim 1 it says it was converted to esim I have no number connected to my physical sim anymore I talked to AT&T they said I need to use my esim now to turn off physical sim .I turned off esim I didn't want to try to use my regular sim lost all calling features and texting had to contact AT&T again now using esim yet sim 1 is always the one highlighted like is what I'm using , I just want to use sim1 not sure which one is better
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S23

If you only have one sim in a dual sim phone, whichever type sim you are using becomes sim 1.  As long as you are getting and making calls, you have an active sim. Neither type is better than the other, they both work the same.

0 Likes