JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S24 Ultra: Unable to choose different SIMs for phone calls and cellular network usage

(Topic created: 02-22-2024 09:51 AM)
adrianyepremyan
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi. It's been a week with my new S24 Ultra, and one thing that really bothers me is that I am unable to use my SIM1 (physical) for phone calls and SMS, and the SIM2 (eSIM) for the cellular network.

There's no such option to choose in the Settings app. I am able to choose only the Primary SIM, which uses the chosen SIM for everything, which is not useful in my case. I saw a similar question asked, but there were no solutions posted. I wanted to know if I can use two eSIMs at the same time, and if by doing that I might be able to have more control over them or not, because I can swap my physical SIM with another eSIM easily.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
KiwiBird97
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S24
The U and U1 variants do not support preferred SIMs for individual functions. Because of this, data-only SIMs do not work correctly on those variants.

View solution in context

12 Replies
PACritic
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
It asks if you want to use one for data and one for calls on mine when you install the second one.
0 Likes
adrianyepremyan
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

That didn't do anything when first installing, and I just ejected and inserted back the SIM and nothing happened besides my eSIM becoming the Primary SIM now, which I don't want.

0 Likes
PACritic
Comet
Options
Galaxy S24
I used 2 esim and it asked me if I wanted to use both Sims or just 1. It said I could use 1 for voice and other for data on s24 ultra
0 Likes
KiwiBird97
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S24
On the Galaxy Tab S9 and S9 FE in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico, the behavior of dual SIMs is different. Furthermore, there is no dual SIM support on the Tab A9, S8, or earlier.

WI-FI VARIANTS (SM-X510, SM-X610, SM-X710, SM-X810, AND SM-X910)
Your tablet will work with phones with cellular plans from South Korea, the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Brazil, Latin America, Europe, Russia, CIS, Israel, Turkey, the Middle East, India, Asia Pacific, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Japan (excluding Mainland China and Indonesia). You can choose preferred mobile plans separately for outgoing calls, new text conversations, and cellular data.
(Note: If you do not use the Call & Text on Other Devices option, only cellular data can be used via hotspot/tethering. This is because there is no connected phone to handle calls and texts.)

CELLULAR VARIANTS (ALL PHONES, SM-X518U, AND SM-X818U)
Your tablet can only work with phones with cellular plans from the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. You must set one primary mobile plan for all three functions (calls, texts, and cellular data). For example, you cannot set plan 1 for calls and texts and plan 2 for cellular data. We tested it with AT&T and Ubigi on our S23 Ultra and found issues when Ubigi is set as the primary plan.

COMPATIBLE CELLULAR PLANS FOR THE US
ā€¢ AT&T
ā€¢ C Spire
ā€¢ Cricket (One UI 6.1+)
ā€¢ Metro by T-Mobile
ā€¢ Spectrum (One UI 6.1+)
ā€¢ T-Mobile USA
ā€¢ US Cellular
ā€¢ Verizon
ā€¢ Xfinity Mobile
ā€¢ Other US carriers and MVNOs associated with the aboveScreenshot_20240222_133232_Call settings_1000051641_1708637552.pngScreenshot_20240222_133238_Call settings_1000051642_1708637558.pngScreenshot_20240222_133242_Call settings_1000051643_1708637563.pngScreenshot_20240222_133246_Call settings_1000051644_1708637566.png
adrianyepremyan
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

So did I get it right that there's a restriction applied to all carriers other than the ones specified in your list?

I live in Armenia, and I pre-ordered an unlocked version of the phone.

So there's no way for me at all to specify different SIMs for different things?

0 Likes
KiwiBird97
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S24
What are the model numbers for your phone and tablet? Be sure to include any suffices like 0, B, C, N, U, U1, or W (for example, SM-S928U1, SM-X910).
0 Likes
adrianyepremyan
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

SM-S928U1

It's an S24 Ultra phone.

0 Likes
Solution
KiwiBird97
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy S24
The U and U1 variants do not support preferred SIMs for individual functions. Because of this, data-only SIMs do not work correctly on those variants.
adrianyepremyan
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Thanks a lot for the information, it is really helpful to at least know that it is officially not supported, though I really don't get the reason why one model supports the feature and the other doesn't...

Do you know if it is a hardware limit or it is possible that with future updates it might get fixed / support added?