Original topic:

Disappointingly poor VO2max readings on Watch 6 Classic

(Topic created: 3 weeks ago)
jacksonrk
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have been wearing and using my W6C for 4 months now and a highly disappointed at the poor quality of the VO2max readings it gives.  Other inputs provide me with a much higher score.  I was able to recreate the values they are generating, and they are using a highly simplistic equation which relies on dynamic readings which are flat out wrong.  They are not using maximal heart rate (MHR) in generating the reading and are relying on the poor estimation of the RHR (resting heart rate).  Also, there is no good reason to base the reading on GPS data.  The Samsung team has a whole lot of work to do to bring the device up to industry standards.  I have given up referring to the watch reading and instead rely on a set of higher fidelity equations to generate the number myself.  In reality, your VO2max does not change on a daily basis.  Your MHR is pretty fixed (except for illness, etc.).  Your RHR also does not change on a daily basis.  One final note, my old Fitbit Sense did a much better job of generating accurate VO2max numbers.  I can only hope Samsung invests some serious research to improving the metric as VO2max is a key value in determining health span.

0 Replies