Original topic:

Does the Galaxy Watch Require a Phone Plan?

(Topic created: a month ago)
SherryH
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Will the watch still work if connected to a phone, but not on a phone plan? 

6 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@SherryH There are 2 versions of the Galaxy Watches. An LTE version and a BT version. Both versions connect to your phone via BT and can be used that way. 

The LTE version allows you to optionally purchase service from your carrier and provides connection when outside of BT range of your phone. 

The BT version does not require a separate plan. 

I hope this helps answer your question. 

SherryH
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

So basically it only needs it's own plan if it is too far from the phone?

How do I know which version it is? It's my husband's, he's not with me.

LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Watch

@SherryH If the watch is too far from the BT connection on your phone, it still operates as a watch only. The smart features won't work because it won't have an internet connection. 

An LTE version is more expensive than the BT version. You can look up the model number to see which version you have. Also if you check on the Watch -> Settings -> About -> About watch if you see an IMEI listed, it is an LTE version. 

SherryH
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch

Thank you. I looked at it in the online account and it has an IMEI. I just want to make sure if we don't have it on a plan he can still get texts and calls. It's never far from his phone, but he's in construction and doesn't hear his phone. @LongHiker 

realaud
Supernova
Options
Galaxy Watch
Yes, as long as his watch is connected by BT he will still get a vibration on his wrist that there is a call, text, or other notification he allowed. He can connect earbuds to either the watch or phone and answer from whichever device the buds/headphones are connected to.
SherryH
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Watch
Thanks!
0 Likes