JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Separating calls between an Android phone line and Galaxy Watch 5 Pro phone line

(Topic created: 12-28-2022 12:31 PM)
Nash Nari
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

I have an android phone (Microsoft Surface) and recently bought Galaxy Watch 5 Pro, because I wanted to use it for outdoor activities, get messages (make calls, etc.), while my cell phone is not with me.  I subscribed to Tello cell phone plan  (includes data plan) for my Galaxy watch. Both the android phone and the Galaxy 5 watch have separate phone numbers. 

Now my problem is this:

1.  When I have both the watch and the cell phone near me, and I make call to some third party person from the watch, the call goes through the darn cell phone and it appears as if it is made from the cell phone. 

2.   Reverse is also true - that is, when someone makes a call to my cell phone, it rings on my watch phone - pretty annoying.

3.  Third problem (mostly likely related to the first two) is that all the calls that are made from the watch phone appear in the call list of the android cell phone.

I understand that many of the information (contact list, watch app configuration, etc.) are sync-ed between the watch and the android phone.  But that doesn't mean that watch 5 Pro should not be allowed to stand on its own legs.

Does anyone have feedback or ideas on how to mitigate these two problems? 

Samsung, if you are reading my message, this issue is pretty important to me and is there a possibility that Samsung can come up with fix to this problem ASAP? Long shot, still worth requesting. 🙂 Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
For 1st and 2nd issue, was your watch connected via Bluetooth to the phone? If it was, turn off Bluetooth on your phone or watch and wait until watch connects to cell tower. Then initiate a call on the watch and see the behavior

View solution in context

0 Likes
4 Replies
Solution
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
For 1st and 2nd issue, was your watch connected via Bluetooth to the phone? If it was, turn off Bluetooth on your phone or watch and wait until watch connects to cell tower. Then initiate a call on the watch and see the behavior

0 Likes
Nash Nari
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Watch

@Charkatak  - Thanks for the feedback and suggestion. Appreciate it very much.

Yes, it did work.  Removing the bluetooth connection between the two (cell phone and watch phone) did solve all three problems by removing the android cell phone as the middle man and the call appears as if it is coming from my watch phone number when dialing a third person.

However, I do connect my earbuds on my android phone via blue tooth and removing and adding it back is an annoyance.  Yes, it is an intermittent annoyance at best, which I can definitely tolerate until Samsung comes up with a permanent fix.

Again, thanks for the quick response.

Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy Watch
You can keep Bluetooth active on your phone and turn it off on your watch.

0 Likes
realaud
Red Giant
Options
Galaxy Watch
That's exactly how it's supposed to work. The numbers are not supposed to work independently of each other. If you have one phone account then even though the second device has to have a separate number because you can't have two devices with the same number those numbers are linked. If you made a call on your watch while it was not connected by Bluetooth to your phone your actual phone's numbers would come up on somebody else's caller ID. The fact that you want to use two separate numbers is a little puzzling
0 Likes