Image won't display in Samsung Gallery App

(Topic created: 10-21-2023 06:39 AM)
Members_BPBr9Lt
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

App name: Samsung Gallery vScreenshot_20231021_091341_Gallery.jpg14.5.01.2
Hardware: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5, OneUI v5.1.1, Kernel v5.15.78

Problem: Can't see photo though can see icon of photo. See attached picture.

Details: starting a few weeks ago, the pre-installed Samsung Gallery application started having the problem above. I don't believe I did anything with regards to app settings. The photos are there in the file system (Internal storage > DCIM > Camera). I checked settings, cleared cache, and cleared data without success. Downloading another gallery application (I can't find the developer: "Offered by pictures and photo gallery app", v6.3.1). I can't uninstall and re-install.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

Settings -> Apps -> Special Access -> All file access -> MTP application, MTP Host, Download Manager -> enable

View solution in context

0 Likes
8 Replies
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
How old is the photo? Some older codex are no longer used by modern phones.
0 Likes
Members_BPBr9Lt
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

I took the pic immediately before the screen capture, meaning as recent as was possible. 😉

0 Likes
ChaosSaber
Neutron Star
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
To rule out a corrupt file, can the picture be put on a computer?
0 Likes
Members_BPBr9Lt
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

The photo itself isn't corrupted. I can view it directly from the phone's file system ("My Files"), from another gallery app (also named "Gallery"), and have downloaded the photo without issue to my laptop.

0 Likes
Members_1FGlEMu
Constellation
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

I am having the same exact problem.  My phone is only one week old.  I can see the pics in google photos but not in the standard gallery.  Cannot delete the picture either.  

0 Likes
S22uin203
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
I would check the Google Play Store and make sure that the gallery application is updated with the latest version. I own the S22U and I have also seen this happen with some of my files. What's worked for me in the past is I open up the photo into another application and try and save it with different extension image.extension as an example.
I hope this helps you out
0 Likes
Solution
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

Settings -> Apps -> Special Access -> All file access -> MTP application, MTP Host, Download Manager -> enable

0 Likes
Members_BPBr9Lt
Asteroid
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

Holy gosh! I have no idea why MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) would have anything to do with viewing an image thumbnail, but it works. (Accessing the photo database as a virtual machine requiring MTP transfers? If so, it seems a little round about unless you are using the same transfer mechanism for cloud storage?)

From what I can tell, you need to enable all 3.

0 Likes