JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Refrigerator water filter won't install

(Topic created: 06-19-2017 02:48 PM)
userB8cG2hrdak
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I bought the Aqua Pure Plus filter at Lowe's last week.  Went to install last night and it won't insert to be able to twist.  The "ridges" look different from the previous filter, and from the picture on the box, as shown in my picture (left is replacement, right is the filter we removed from the fridge).  I did Samsung online help and they confirmed that I bought the right model number, and encouraged me to replace at the store. I exchanged today, but the new one looks the same and again doesn't install.  I'm at a loss for what to do, it seems silly to keep exchanging if they're all manufactured like this. 

JUMP TO SOLUTION
115 Replies
Sniglet
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I'm glad I found this solution! We were going crazy trying to get the new filter in.  Like you, it was the first time to replace it.  We also cannot figure out how the cap was in there, and why.  Weird, but now I'm glad things got "fixed" and we can enjoy the refrigerator again.

0 Likes
userPLf3ybFKhi
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Dear Pepfam, Thank you, thank you, thank you. You just saved me maybe some big bucks. I tried to change the filter yesterday and I couldn't get either the new or old filter in. After speaking with Best Buy, Samsung and others I started to look for repair shops to call and found this forum and best of all your post. There are slots along the sides of the filter housing so I took a drawer out to gain access. With a stiff wire, I poked around and the cap fell off.

So now I'm relieved and thankful for you sharing.  

userLBoYlA6L1v
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have struggled with this problem for years and even spoke with Samsung multiple  times. Their solution was for me to call a tech at my expense. I spoke with Samsung after researching the change in filter design and they still would t help  I don't understand the lack of customer support and the tactic to swimdle money from its customers to fix a problem they designed to happen. 
Thank you for posting how to fix this problem!!!

After hours of circular communication,  purchasing filters that didn't fit, and researching online,  I have decided that Samsung  has lost a life long customer in me. 

userYS0K5Cd5u7
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

On my rfg237aars fridge, generic filters fit perfectly and the Samsung brand (which I found on sale) did not. No cap stuck inside either. Tried everything until I found that the first notch on the filter fitting needed to be trimmed. The filter now fits perfect. Stupid from Samsung to make us work like that when they charge plenty for their filters. If nothing else works, trim that first notch on both sides.

user3g7cH1OSjT
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Can you tell us what it looks like when the cap is stuck?  I looked and I don't see a hole to instert the new filter into, so I am wondering if that is my problem.

0 Likes
alekseyt
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

WELL.. The cap was a part of the new filter. If you don't remove it from the filter before inserting  it will stack in the fridge filter recepticle, so you will need to scoop the cup out of there first. 

0 Likes
userk5TiRajQyc
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

First time replacing water filter on new refrigerator and, yes, there was a cap causing install problems. I removed crisper bin in order to get to cap with thin screwdriver and popped off cap! New filter installed with ease. FYI..I’m a 70 year old grandma.

userbAib0Xy0j4
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

@Pepfam wrote:

Have you checked to see if the cap for the old filter is stuck in the insertion site.  That was my problem and the problem of quite a few others. Just look back where the filter engages.  If that cap is there, grab yourself a pair of needle nose pliers and carefully yank it out.

It was a lid stuck in the slot for me too! I can't believe this. I don't see how it could have even been working thru the last 2 filters.

0 Likes
userOuRthDEDnC
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Do you have a pic of what that cap looks like? Don't want to pull out any parts.

0 Likes
userLBoYlA6L1v
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

It does work to take the "cap" out of the filter housing, but it is not that it broke off, it's that Samsung redesigned their filter and still doesn't offer a solution or even acknowledgement to their customers.  Thank goodness for these posts. 

0 Likes