Original topic:

Move apps to SD CARD Galaxy A20

(Topic created: 03-27-2024 02:09 AM)
Cami14
Astronaut
Options
Other Mobile Devices

I have a Galaxy A20 and my internal memory is completely full with apps. I can't move most apps to my SD card because it won't show the move option when I check the storage location.

Is it because Samsung doesn't allow apps to be stored on SD cards or is my SD card formatted incorrectly?

I saw something about formatting SD cards as portable or internal storage and I'm thinking I might have the SD card formatted incorrectly for app storage?

1 Reply
realaud
Supernova
Options
Other Mobile Devices

Apps aren't designed to run on SD cards, so SD cards should be used for things like music and pictures and file downloads. You can set the camera's storage location to your SD card, but you can't install apps to them. If you succeed in moving apps there, and they somehow work, you will then be complaining about how slow they are. Previously (quite a few years and android versions ago) you were able to format an SD card as an extended hard drive but no longer. With the availability of devices with larger storage capacities, it became unnecessary. SD cards are slower and not meant for the repeat actions of using apps.

if your storage is getting full, perhaps you should take a hard look at all the apps you have installed and decide what you really use and need on a frequent basis and uninstall the rest.  

You can also check in file manager for downloaded documents stored in the phone, those you can move to the download folder on the SD card.  I think you can set your download location to SD card. Go to the settings in the browser(s) you use, scroll for downloads and select it.  It should come up with a window on where to download (phone/folder or SD card), select SD card. that should save you some space going forward.

You could also decide it's time for an upgrade and look for a phone within your budget with more storage.

0 Likes