Original topic:

BUG: TV volume display too large

(Topic created: 2 weeks ago)
userOzfwR8nzNq
Astronaut
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

IMG_0636.jpeg

 

Compared to other TVs I have owned, the Samsung TV’s volume indicator overlay is incorrectly sized and incorrectly positioned. It cannot be intended behavior to cover a third of the screen with the name of my audio output device.

When watching TV, it is very common to reach for the remote to boost quiet dialogue, or quiet a loud  action scene to avoid disturbing others, but doing so causes a major distraction as the Volume overlay covers a significant portion of the display’s central region  

I have found several duplicates of this issue in the forums leading back several years, so I can confirm that the problem is in the default UI, not an issue on my particular device.  

This is a major usability bug that is affecting my ability to recommend Samsung devices to friends and colleagues.  It makes the device feel “cheap” - a more premium device seems like it would have more elegant and subtle UI elements. 

The solution would be an alternate “Advanced” Volume display mode, where as small of an indicator as possible is overlayed in an out-of-the-way corner of the screen, where the person holding the remote knows where to look to confirm the volume level without distracting the rest of the viewers. This would help the UI feel more premium. 

1 Reply
tomsframe
Comet
Options
Projectors & Other TVs

I agree with you that the Volume onscreen display is onerous at best, as we too find we have to fiddle with levels between programs and even in the same one sometimes.

But we don't see this unless I WANT TO, by using the Samsung remote. We have a Samsung soundbar HW-Q800B and mostly watch our AppleTV whereby its remote's volume controls only light the far right of the soundbar with a + or a -. I don't think Wife ever even notices when I do this.

Again, I agree with your point but observe there are ways around it.

0 Likes