Original topic:

Can I change display size on 4K Qled Tv for my little son ?

(Topic created: 01-16-2023 02:13 PM)
Harry_Potter0038
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hi friends.

Just bought a 4K Samsung 50Q67B.  The Tv has great quality. 50 inches is enough for our living room if we dont't get too close to the TV.  But our 4 year old son  likes watching TV close.  

So, in order for his eyes not getting problems due to watching TV close, I tried to adjust display size for TV.  The only setting I could find is changing the aspect ratio. I can make 4:3 aspect ratio for our pay TV, but I can't make the aspect ratio of youtube or netflix to 4:3.  When I googled this problem, it says "4K videos can't be adjusted to 4:3 ratio" 

Our previous, 14 year old Lcd Tv had this great option to adjust display size however we like and on any video we like. It had 4:3 ratio, cinema ratio, over zoom ratio, subtitle ratio, etc.... 

So, long story short, how can I make youtube and netflix 4:3 ratio ? Or, is there a way to adjust the general display size like a 43 inch TV ? (Our TV is 50 inches but is there a setting to make the display like 43 inches ? ) Apparently there is no setting for this, but maybe service menu or something that only technical guys know ?

7 Replies
Biggus
Galaxy
Options
QLED and The Frame
Perhaps take your 4 year old son to an optometrist or his pediatrician first, since childhood vision problems often manifest as something like this and they aren't really able to tell you their vision is blurry since they don't know what it should look like.

Other than that watching TV from close up doesn't cause vision damage / problems (an urban legend, something dating back to very old CRTs), just possible temporary eye strain... And if that's not bothering your 4 year old and you're not willing to make them move farther away I wouldn't worry about it.
Harry_Potter0038
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hi. Thank you for your answer. He doesnt have any vision problems now. I am struggling for him not to get eye problems for watching close. Yes we tell him not to watch close but he forgets it easily. 

Maybe technical guys can help me with this problem. As far as I know, Tvs have some service menu that only technical guys can access. 

Biggus
Galaxy
Options
QLED and The Frame
That's good to know, didn't want to overstep you there but many people don't think of that one.

Did you see the second part? Check Google, he won't get any lasting vision problems, just temporary eye strain.

Anyway, you can change it through the normal menus. I had to screenshot the manual page about it since it wouldn't let me copy relevant info.

Basically set screen size to custom and then adjust the zoom.
Screenshot_20230117-060752_Samsung Notes_1000001869_1673953746.png
Biggus
Galaxy
Options
QLED and The Frame
I don't use Samsung TVs but my LG has a nearly identical menu... On that one the zoom will take the picture down to roughly ~40" screen size minimum. I doubt they're very far off in features there since the main use of this is getting HD and SD content to display with less upscaling.
0 Likes
Harry_Potter0038
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hi. Thanks for the settings picture. I checked that all settings menu, and there is a zoom setting, but it only zooms in, doesn't zoom out. Thanks very much anyway. 

Harry_Potter0038
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

So you have an LG Tv and you can zoom out the display ? Can you set youtube and netflix to 4:3 ratio ?

0 Likes
Biggus
Galaxy
Options
QLED and The Frame
Setting aspect to 4:3 works for the apps / inputs I tested. It squashes the image of course and fits to screen vertically so there are black letterbox bars on both sides like with real 4:3 content through the media player.