Original topic:

Frame TV: Issues with night mode and art mode auto brightness

(Topic created: 09-22-2023 08:10 AM)
Bert19
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

I've been having two related issues:

1. Night mode: no problem turning off at night, but doesn't turn back on in the morning.

2. Art mode: does not brighten during the day.

My TV is in the living room that gets plenty of light but it's also in a bit of a recessed space on top of a black cabinet. There are no obstructions around the light sensor.

After some experimentation and playing around with it, I noticed during the day that if I shine a light directly at the light sensor, it will wake the TV into art mode. Likewise shining the light makes the art mode brighter. Removing the light you can see it dim again. 

So looks like the features technically work but unfortunately the light sensitivity isn't high enough. Since everyone will have their TV setup in different environments, some being brighter or darker, we need Samsung to provide an option to configure the light sensitivity in the same way that motion sensitivity can be configured. 

17 Replies
manglesim
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thanks for posting this. Iā€™ve just purchased 43ā€ and 50ā€ 2023 models and both have the same issue as you have described. My previous television (43ā€ 2021 Frame) had no problem waking up in the morning in the exact same location. 

Bert19
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

That's interesting. I wonder if there's some change in the sensor design that might be a factor. 

Also from what I can tell, in Art mode, there only seems to be two brightness levels. The manual setting and a brighter level when it detects bright ambient light. What I'd like is another level where it gets dimmer at night when there is little to no ambient light. 

I'm pretty sure these are solvable issues in firmware, hopefully Samsung can address them.

manglesim
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Actually Iā€™ve noticed the same with regards to brightness levels. Itā€™s significantly different to previous (for example 2021) models. These allowed you, albeit unintuitively, to manually set a level of brightness depending on the ambient light level in the room. So you could manually store a very low brightness when it was nearly dark, another when it was a bit lighter, and so on. The TV would remember these manually set values and adjust to them when required. It was quite good so this is definitely a step back. 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame
Please try this: On the bottom of your Samsung Television. Where the Light Sensor Controls are. You will see that it has a clip. Lightly pull down on the clip. This will make the Sensor pop down. It is designed to do this by design. It is not a design defect and will not break your Samsung Television

Popping the Sensor down will allow your Samsung Television to properly read the Ambient Light Levels in your Room and Environment.

Please post a reply to let me know what you found. I really think that is going to fix you issue! Thank you!

***You should NOT have to force it. Be gentle and it will pop down***
0 Likes
Dpmidkiff23
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

My sensor sticks down and if I shine my phone flashlight on it it comes on. But then goes off after a bit. Our room is very bright. Our 2017 model in same location was great šŸ˜” it developed a foot wide shadow from top to bottom and a white spot (looked like a reflection) 

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
QLED and The Frame
@Bert19 Please try this: On the bottom of your Samsung Television. Where the Light Sensor Controls are. You will see that it has a clip. Lightly pull down on the clip. This will make the Sensor pop down. It is designed to do this by design. It is not a design defect and will not break your Samsung Television

Popping the Sensor down will allow your Samsung Television to properly read the Ambient Light Levels in your Room and Environment.

Please post a reply to let me know what you found. I really think that is going to fix you issue! Thank you!

***You should NOT have to force it. Be gentle and it will pop down***
0 Likes
Seth L
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Can you post a picture of where the clip is? I am having this same issue, and I cant find any place to "pop it down".

0 Likes
Sweettalker01
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

Same issue for our TV. Who can we call at Samsung? So far I cannot get a return call from them.

0 Likes
KLB1
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

See, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMSVyjZ2158.  Just bought a 55" Frame and had this issue.  My Frame TV casts a shadow over the sensor (have flood lights over TV which causes shadow from actual TV frame).  This tricks the TV sensor into thinking it should go into night mode.  I have to turned off night mode and set TV to turn off after a set time.  Key - turn off night mode.   A little frustrating that TV engineers missed this issue.

Hi guys, recently purchased a 43" Samsung the frame TV to accompany my 65" and i have had it replaced due to the motion sensor not working and bringing the artwork up when motion is sensed. After a service visit and replacement I found the issue was still there and have finally worked out it is ...
0 Likes