Original topic:

The frame firmware ruined tv

(Topic created: 07-12-2023 07:37 PM)
userNbzHhjAe7v
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

As many others have posted, the 1503 update or whatever version came out in June/July 2023 has broken so many features on the frame. 

HDMI CEC input switching is mostly unresponsive. Sometimes waking my apple tv will change to the HDMI input, but 9/10 times it will not. It used to work 100% of the time. 

Powering off an HDMI device no longer returns the tv to art mode. These two HDMI features are what made the frame worth purchasing. Now an additional remote is required and we're forced to switch inputs or swap to art mode. 

Art mode will also randomly not work. Sometimes it just refuses to leave the home screen. Truly abysmal. 

Finally, I've had zero WiFi issues for the last 8 months and now, every two days, the frame won't connect to wifi. It shows it's on the network but it shows a red X when showing internet connectivity. 

Samsung needs to allow us to downgrade the firmware. I have paid for the yearly store subscription and for the last 7 of 9 days, I have had zero access to it. No matter what I do, even factory resetting the device does nothing. Internet connectivity happens with no rhyme or reason. 

Art mode randomly changes brightness on screen with a dark yellow cast. Prior to the update, the tv would react quickly to ambient light changing. Now it can take 30-90 seconds and sometimes it goes dark in full bright rooms or it'll add a strange yellow cast in the dark. 

This is a product that was superb and has been absolutely ruined. It is so frustrating to use and absolutely infuriating talking to Samsung support. They wasted 2.5 hours of my time on the phone just reading from a script and saying to reset the tv. And that it must be my router that's the issue. It's not. I tried telling them I've tried different routers and changed from 2.4 to 5ghz and back. It's the firmware, not my router. 

How did this build make it out of testing?

24 Replies
noname69420
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I am also having this issue on two Frame Tvs after the update.

It seems that the TV is either not correctly accepting a CEC power-off signal, or it is choosing to ignore it. 

Samsung chat and support did not provide a solution and would not downgrade the software on my unit.

Samsung - please fix this issue so the TV can be functional again.

Slapppy
Galaxy
Options
QLED and The Frame

There has been zero acknowledgment of this issue from Samsung here. The tech support people are clueless of this issue. Do these guys even own one? 

userNbzHhjAe7v
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Agreed. It makes zero sense. Itā€™s like they just output a random build and hoped for the best. And Samsungs support approach isā€¦call us, waste hours doing multiple factory resets and then telling us they will note the issue. They have made a product unusable and are holding our products hostage. 

Slapppy
Galaxy
Options
QLED and The Frame

Itā€™s so bad now that it wonā€™t even stay in art mode for More than a few minutes. It just stops and goes back to smart tv or HDMI 1!

ManleyPointer
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

My frame also started having a lot of problems starting around this timeframe. Is a firmware update forthcoming. 

calculuzz
Astronaut
Options
QLED and The Frame

Same here. I'm so annoyed. 

Tet-YVR
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Also having the same issues. 

Slapppy
Galaxy
Options
QLED and The Frame

So I started to try and figure out a workaround. I have ATV on HDMI 1. I disabled Smart TV, and enabled Anynet HDMI and turn off HDMI enhanced.  I set ATV to show Ariel screen saver in 5 min and sleep ATV in 15. So when ATV sleep, it switches the FRAME to Art mode. When the Stupid Frame decides to exit ART Mode it pops into HDMI1 ATV which then wakes it up and starts the Ariel screensaver in 5 min. At least that plays. Then in 15 min ATV goes to sleep and Frame TV automatically switches to ART Mode.  Which works for quite awhile.  Eventually FRAME TV ART mode gets stupid and quits again, but it will go to HDMI and ATV kicks in, screensaver, sleep and then back to ART Mode.  it's a stupid workaround but it work.   One hiccup. Eventually FRAME TV in ART Mode sleep will just shut down the TV completely. You have to wake it up again and manually switch to HDMI1 ATV. This happens eventually. Sometimes within a day or two, sometimes a whole week before it does that.  Clearly this FIRMWARE has ruined the entire experience.

Gerlon
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Wow. I came here having troubles with my Samsung QLED and after reading about these issues, I will probably not buy the Samsung Frame I was planning to buy. Itā€™s really bad when a not fully tested and flushed out software update basically breaks your tv.