JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

HDMI connected XBox is still powered on by Samsung Q6 TV even after disabling Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)

(Topic created: 07-17-2023 09:12 AM)
dvq
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

We have a Samsung Q6 75" (model QN75Q6FNAFXZA / UN75NU7100) with an XBox One connected to the first HDMI port (HDMI-1).  The TV reports that it is up to date with the latest software version: 1334 (as of this post on 7/17/2023).

When we turn on the TV it automatically turns on the XBox.  This is a nice feature when we want to use the XBox, but usually we don't, and are looking to watch something on TV instead.  Therefore, we don't want the XBox to automatically get powered on when we turn on the TV.

We researched and found the Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) feature that causes the XBox to be powered on by the TV, and we disabled that option in the TV settings via Settings -> General -> External Device Manager -> Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC).  However, even after disabling the feature, the TV is still powering on the Xbox when we turn on the TV.  I looked to see if there was a similar feature on the XBox to disable, but anything related is already disabled.

We have only been able to solve the problem by physically unplugging the HDMI cable from the TV, which is obviously a suboptimal solution.

Why is disabling Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) not working as expected, and can this be fixed with a software update?

Thank you in advance for any help on this issue.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
Get a cec blocker like the one linked and put it on the Xbox.

BlueRigger HDMI CEC Less Adapter (4K UHD, ARC,1080p, Ethernet, Male to Female CEC Blocker) - Compatible with HDTV, TV Stick, Chromecast, Nintendo Switch, Xbox, PS5, Laptop, PC, Game Console, Soundbar https://a.co/d/417TB6J

When you get it make sure that pin 13 (the one marked in red) is empty. That's the pin that carries the cec signal. HDMI Pin13_1000004715_1677865194.jpg

View solution in context

5 Replies
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hi there @dvq and welcome to the community!  We have added the feedback tag to this case in order for Samsung to see your suggestions in regard to an update.  One thing that I would like to check with you, have you tried plugging your Xbox into a different HDMI port on the television?  

In the meantime, here's how you can disable the CEC from the XBox:

Press the Xbox button  to open the guide, then go to Profile & system > Settings > General > TV & display options > TV & A/V power options.

Let us know if this helps!  If it doesn't send us a private message and we can look into this further.

0 Likes
dvq
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hello and thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately they didn't work and I sent you a private message as requested.  Thanks again for looking into this.

0 Likes
Solution
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
Get a cec blocker like the one linked and put it on the Xbox.

BlueRigger HDMI CEC Less Adapter (4K UHD, ARC,1080p, Ethernet, Male to Female CEC Blocker) - Compatible with HDTV, TV Stick, Chromecast, Nintendo Switch, Xbox, PS5, Laptop, PC, Game Console, Soundbar https://a.co/d/417TB6J

When you get it make sure that pin 13 (the one marked in red) is empty. That's the pin that carries the cec signal. HDMI Pin13_1000004715_1677865194.jpg
dvq
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thanks Diaboyos.  This seems like a decent workaround.  That said, I don't think having to buy additional hardware to fix a software bug is a great solution, especially for the customer.

I hope that Samsung is able to fix this issue in an upcoming software update.  

Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
This happens with every brand not just Samsung. HDMI control and CEC is notoriously buggy. I am using an LG right now and had a similar issue.
0 Likes