JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Oled s95b confused about display settings

(Topic created: 11-03-2022 06:07 AM)
Members_3E3Xx8I
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I am a new to adjusting the display on my new Samsung s9b5. I have read several articles and watched numerous you tube videos that describe changing the settings on this model. My confusion stems from the discussions of settings for sdr and hdr. My understanding is that there are four display modes that can be selected and then you can set expert settings for each. I don't do gaming on this set. I view programs via cable and the internet. So when someone recommends hdr or sdr settings I am assuming I must select one of the modes and make the suggested changes. Are the suggesting that a user changes settings within a mode based on content they are watching (sdr or hdr)? I am looking for recommendations for the most realistic image mode (now using movie) and settings that I will use for all content. Not sure where the sdr and hdr fit in this. Pardon my ignorance and thanks for any enlightenment.

3 Replies
NPC1
Red Giant
Options
QLED and The Frame
I would think SDR is used for OTA or anything under 4K programming. Basically what I did was to adjust pic settings as I was watching the program. Netflix, Prime, Disney, etc. If I noticed that the pic settings were exactly as I had to the previous Service, no need to adjust.
Only SDR setting I use is for OTA TV. Everything else is set for HDR. Just remember the settings you use from the internet is just a quick base for you to start from. Adjust to your liking from there.
0 Likes
Solution
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
You can use movie mode for everything if you wish. Just go in and tweak the movie mode picture settings so it looks best based on your angle to the TV, the light in the room, etc. The HDR setting should enable automatically when you play HDR content. It's not something you really have to do anything to get it to work, or you shouldn't have to.

If your model TV has a regular brightness setting and a separate HDR brightness setting start with the regular set at 50% and the HDR at 100%. If the regular is set too high it messes up the picture with clouding.
Members_3E3Xx8I
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thank you both.  Very helpful.

0 Likes