Original topic:

QN90 local dimming weirdness in game mode

(Topic created: 11-12-2021 10:58 AM)
kcatarino
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

I have noticed an odd bug with the local dimming when playing Xbox games in 120hz vrr hdr game mode. The subtitles, icons, and text will dim along with the background. It’s not so bad when the text is white but when it’s colored it gets weird. In AC Odyssey the yellow text and icons fade to almost white, and in Netflix the red progress bar and icons fade to a pale pink. Is there any way to fix this?

37 Replies
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
QLED and The Frame
I believe that it's a known issue with local dimming and blooming, I have a question for you, I am thinking about purchasing the 65-inch model, can you please measure how far the stand sticks out from the back of the TV I am unable to find any information about the stand, please send me a direct message if possible please
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
QLED and The Frame

Good afternoon. The base for the QN65QN90 is 11.2 inches from front to back. The stand extends from the back panel of the television approximately 5.5 to 6.0 inches.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
QLED and The Frame
Thanks for the information, it's extremely helpful since different screen sizes have different base dimensions, and I look forward to my QN65QN90AAFXZA to arrive
0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
QLED and The Frame

You are most welcome. You can find the dimensions for the television in the Quick Start Guide.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
QLED and The Frame
I believe that I looked at all the manuals but wanted to make sure, thanks again for the information
0 Likes
kcatarino
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

It is actually 7 inches. The base is kind of huge and weird. And heavy.

So if this is a known issue does that mean that they’re working on it? Apparently the previous firmware’s actually look better than the last update when it comes to the blooming algorithm

0 Likes
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
QLED and The Frame
Thanks you so much, I knew the depth was different than what is listed in the manual, as for the dimming settings I believe that the next firmware update will help, I have read the recalibration of the local dimming settings help ,I will keep you posted if I find anything else
0 Likes
userIRFlKvL5xe
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

Greetings,

There is a firmware download posted for the 55" qn90a:

version 1805.4, 1614.54 MB, Sep 16. 2021

Do you know if any local dimming calibrations were included in this update?

Thanks

0 Likes
kcatarino
Cosmic Ray
Options
QLED and The Frame

1805 is supposedly the update that broke it. I only got my TV after 1805. People say the 1500 series firmware had better local dimming.

0 Likes