JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

QN90A maximum volume limit setting (?)

(Topic created: 07-18-2021 12:20 PM)
Apex1
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I'm in a situation where I need to be able to set a maximum volume for the TV due to one of my family members unintentionally pushing it to 100.

Is there a setting for this? Or creative solutions (I guess installing external sound and using a limiter there?). Hotel mode? I'm getting desperate here.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
QLED and The Frame
The TV service menu. It has the volume controls your wanting, (though a simple removing of the batteries might fix that). Prolly need a normal remote not a smart remote since there's more buttons which are used to get to the menu. Button presses must be timed and pressed in correct sequence with the required pause time in between. Not hard, takes a few trys since the code is regulated and randomly started to prevent accidental entrance. Be careful in there, don't look or touch anything cause you can eff your TV up badly, just the volume stuff and leave.

View solution in context

6 Replies
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
Is there not a numerical figure on screen when you change the volume that you could tell your family member not to go above?
0 Likes
Apex1
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

I wish it were that simple. This family member has dementia (their hearing is intact, but they aren't aware of what they're doing), but otherwise can enjoy watching the TV.

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
QLED and The Frame
If you're using a receiver you should be able to set the max volume but on the TV itself? I don't think so. I could be wrong though check the volume settings.
0 Likes
Solution
SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
QLED and The Frame
The TV service menu. It has the volume controls your wanting, (though a simple removing of the batteries might fix that). Prolly need a normal remote not a smart remote since there's more buttons which are used to get to the menu. Button presses must be timed and pressed in correct sequence with the required pause time in between. Not hard, takes a few trys since the code is regulated and randomly started to prevent accidental entrance. Be careful in there, don't look or touch anything cause you can eff your TV up badly, just the volume stuff and leave.
Apex1
Asteroid
Options
QLED and The Frame

@SelfProclaimedBest thank you! - this was absolutely the solution I was looking for (but didn't know to search for it).

I want to add some more detailed instructions that worked for me today to solve this issue. There are TWO service menus, but only one relevant to the above problem.

Instructions:

1. Buy a cheap universal remote with numerical buttons, as the Samsung smart remote does not have the buttons necessary to open the service menus.

2. With the TV ON, carefully enter "MUTE...1...1...9...ENTER". When this is done, an on-screen menu should appear.

3. Turn "Hospitality Mode" on, which enables the submenus.

4. Scroll down to "Power On" sub-menu and open that, which will give an option for "Maximum Volume".

5. I could not figure out a way to exit this menu, but when I powered the TV off and back on, it saved the settings and successfully limited the max volume.

N.B.: There are a lot of instructions that are unclear online about other ways to access the service menu. With the TV OFF, "Mute... 1...8...2...POWER" also worked on this TV (QN90A), but opened a different service menu. This one seemed to be oriented towards technicians and I did not see a sound setting in here - likely a bunch of options that could brick the TV.

I hope this helps someone down the road as a lot of other instructions were unclear.

SelfProclaimedBest
Red Giant
Options
QLED and The Frame
Im glad I could help out. Try not to go in the service menu or maintenance menus if you can help it since all have them and it's pretty easy to find codes and such. I know it can be tempting sometimes so if you do I suggest going in for 1 thing and just that at a time. Lol I was grabbing all my friends remotes and showing off years ago when I got in. Didn't brick anyone but gladly it faded away cause what I know now and that showing off would be a disaster.. lol... oh yeah last thing, certain things messed with in there have been known to void or limit warranties I've heard but never experienced it nor personally witnessed it.