Original topic:

Optical (Toslink) Audio Delay fixed on PS5

(Topic created: 06-06-2021 07:47 PM)
user0iYHqRkQP8
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Audio Delay on Samsung TVs resolved with this

Many people have been having an issue with receivers and/or Soundbars with audio delay from using the optical output of the TV. I have a Logitech 5.1 computer speaker setup that uses optical for Dolby and DTS signals. 

The issue stems from the lack of an optical port on the PS5 and processing done from the TV's optical from Dolby and DTS resulting in a very annoying ~200ms delay of audio. I've researched many places of the internet and couldn't find any solutions. After many tedious hours researching again I found a solution to my specific problem. 

**Solution:** So firstly I found out that I needed to activate Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) in the tv settings to allow the ARC channel to work for HDMI 3. You then need a HDMI audio extractor w/ARC to send audio from the tv. I used this one: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H94D77V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_7YTTJ35VZ585AM8T3JZ1?_encoding=UTF8...

Setting up the surround sound on the PS5

* Sound > Audio Output > HDMI Device Type > AV Amplifier

* Number of channels (2, 5.1, or 7.1)

* Audio Format > Dolby or DTS

Setting up the HDMI ARC audio extractor

* Use the supplied USB power (I plugged it straight to the TV)

* Switch the Audio channel (2, 5.1, 7.1) to match your system)

* Switch the ARC option on the adapter

* Plug in the HDMI to the 3rd port on the TV

* Plug the other end of the HDMI to **HDMI out**

* Run an optical cable to your receiver or Soundbar

The TV should automatically switch to receiver but if not, go to Sound Output and choose receiver. Now choose expert settings from the sound menu and make sure HDMI-eARC is on Auto. Change Digital Output audio Format to **Pass-Through**. Make sure the Digital Audio delay is set to 0 as well.

That should allow the tv to send surround sound codec to the extractor without delay. This should work for similar Samsung models (Q90T) and possibly other TV's that are doing the same.

TL;DR: Setting up an HDMI-ARC audio extractor fixes a Dolby Digital and DTS audio delay through the optical port on my Q80T TV.

Let me know if this helps anyone or if you have questions.

17 Replies
rsoback94
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame
I just got this and doesn't fix my delay! My TV doesn't pick up earc either. And when I put it on optical I don't get any surround either.
0 Likes
user0iYHqRkQP8
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

Make sure you plug the HDMI cord from HDMI 2 into the HDMI in on the extractor and switch the ARC to on, on the extractor. Also ensure Anymet+ is enabled on the TV

0 Likes
rsoback94
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame
My arc port is HDMI 3 though and anynet is one
0 Likes
rsoback94
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame
Meant to say on lol
0 Likes
user0iYHqRkQP8
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame
  • Sorry about that, HDMI 3 is arc yes. And you may have gotten a faulty unit. There have been times where I've had to unplug power to the extractor and unplug HDMI from it to get it to work and the tv to receive the signal. I would try that and double check my method, but I hope that fixes it. If not I'd ask for a replacement product
0 Likes
userKh3CXxK2z6
Astronaut
Options
Qled and Frame

Will an extractor solve the problem of audio delay in this case? the circuit is organized in an arc, the sound still lasts longer than the video. My receiver has ARC. I connect in the same way, only the cable from the TV (eARC/ARC) goes to the receiver (ARC). With this setup, I still get 50 milliseconds of latency. It may sound funny, but it really annoys me 😞

0 Likes
user0iYHqRkQP8
Asteroid
Options
Qled and Frame

As long as pass through is enabled on the tv it shouldn't have any delay of audio processing, so I would think it would be the receiver processing a Dolby or DTS signal.

NOTE: These Samsung models do not support DTS pass through

0 Likes
useroA4jPVsfs7
Constellation
Options
Qled and Frame

Hi Asteroid,

can you please confirm that when connecting the PS5 to the audio extractor, that all inputs still play sound via the soundbar/receiver? Not just the PS5. 

i.e if I run Netflix via the TV's app, will the sound still run through the soundbar/receiver and not the TV speakers. 

Regards.

0 Likes