Original topic:

When does a routine start and stop?

(Topic created: 4 weeks ago)
DareDevil57
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

Screenshot_20240421_080055_Modes and Routines.jpg

The routine above behaves as if the location trigger is "Currently at" not "Arriving at".  After I'm home for many hours I get in my car and when bluetooth connects my phone announces "Check the mail".

Is this expected behavior?

Thanks

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
DareDevil57
Asteroid
Options

Yeah, I've accepted the fact that it's just not possible to make it work the way I want.  I still think your wrong about the 'connected' parameter ... but I can't prove it and it's no big deal either way.

Thanks for helping.

View solution in context

0 Likes
13 Replies
realaud
Supernova
Options
Location does not always get places correct, especially if it's mulifamily. I would suggest either adding the additional condtion of connecting to your home WiFi network, or replacing the location, with connection to the network and delete the BT coonrction, unless you can make it to a secific device (like your headset. It's activating ehen connecting to your car's BT, not the location.
0 Likes
DareDevil57
Asteroid
Options

Location is working great for me.  Especially when hooked up to Android Auto.

0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options

Thats great, but obviously your routine  doesn't, so it requires some tweaking. You probably need to specify which BT device activates it, otherwise it picked your car.

0 Likes
DareDevil57
Asteroid
Options

So, this is what empirical evidence suggests...

The routine starts executing when any of the 'If' conditions are met.  Then routines stays executing until all of the 'If' conditions are false.

No actions are taken unless all of the 'If' conditions are met.

Testing results from the above routine.

Drive home at 7:30pm on April 23, 2024.  I hear the announcement to check the mail.

The following morning (April 24, 2024) I get in my car and connect to bluetooth.  I hear the announcement to check the mail.

Disconnect from car's bluetooth and count to 10.  Reconnect to car's bluetooth. I hear the announcement to check the mail.

This is not really what I expected...I'm just wondering if this is by design or a bug.

0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options

Again, you are requesting the routine to start when connected to Bluetooth on or after the time specified. You have to either specify which BT device activates it or take away one of the "ifs". The routine starts when all of the "ifs" are true. YOU HAVE TO SELECT THE BT DEVICE YOU WANT. When you go into your routine settings and select when connected to BT, there is a section on top that you are supposed to tap to select the particular device you want to trigger the action. Tap it (fig 1) and select one of the BT devices on the list (fig 2). If you leave it unselected it will select the last BT device you were connected to, which I assume was your car.

Screenshot_20240422_132305_Modes and Routines.jpgScreenshot_20240422_132320_Modes and Routines.jpg

0 Likes
DareDevil57
Asteroid
Options
The 3 if conditions are 1. Arriving at home. 2. Connected to my car via Bluetooth 3. Between 10am and 10pm.
0 Likes
DareDevil57
Asteroid
Options
My point is that after I've been at home for more than 12 hours, I shouldn't be arriving any more. So, the announcement should not be made.
0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options
I know what your point is, but if you set a time and the routine does not start at that time, it will start at the nearest time that the other condition is met, i.e. BT connected while in proximity to your home. You need to read what I said again, and change your parameters and select the BT device that's the trigger. That way, it will not trigger in your car. Take the advice or don't, you're the one who is bothered by it, and it doesnt cost you anything to change it.
0 Likes
DareDevil57
Asteroid
Options

I think you need to look at my routine again.  The BT device is my car.  One of the conditions is being connected to my car.  I wouldn't know what else to use.

What I want is:

When I'm coming home in my car after the mail has been delivered (around 10am) but not too late, remind me to get the mail.

Your advice doesn't make sense to me.  How would you do the routine?

0 Likes